Profuse flowering of some Palm at Yana- 03022011-PKA2

Prashant awale

Feb 3, 2011, 1:03:54 PM2/3/11
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
I had seen this spectacular sight in the forest on a small hill near Yana (North karnataka).  I could see the profuse flowering of some palm tree. I was too far and thus tried to capture this with max  possible zoom.. Do have a look at these enclosed snaps..

Date/Time: 20-01-2011  05:45PM
Location: Yana
Habitat: Wild

regards
Prashant
IMG_4357.jpg
IMG_4358.jpg
IMG_4359.jpg

ajinkya gadave

Feb 3, 2011, 1:07:06 PM2/3/11
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
very nice palm prasant jee
 i think this palm tree is national tree of srilanka

tanay bose

Feb 3, 2011, 4:20:31 PM2/3/11
to ajinkya gadave, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Corypha umbraculifera commonly known as Talipot Palm
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Divakar

Feb 3, 2011, 11:30:01 PM2/3/11
to efloraofindia
Yes, It is a monocarpic palm (flowers only once in its life).
Like Ficus, It has been considered as a keystone species which provide
food for many insects, birds, bats and other animals.
It takes about 30-40 years for flowering.

Those who have access to Springer, please read the article at
http://www.springerlink.com/content/7x150q442vt61l4k/

-Divakar

On Feb 4, 2:20 am, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Corypha umbraculifera* commonly known as* *Talipot Palmhttp://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/tree.html
> Tanay
>
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:07 AM, ajinkya gadave <ajinkyagad...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > very nice palm prasant jee
> >  i think this palm tree is national tree of srilanka
>
> > On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:33 PM, Prashant awale <pkaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Dear Friends,
> >> I had seen this spectacular sight in the forest on a small hill near Yana
> >> (North karnataka).  I could see the profuse flowering of some palm tree. I
> >> was too far and thus tried to capture this with max  possible zoom.. Do have
> >> a look at these enclosed snaps..
>
> >> Date/Time: 20-01-2011  05:45PM
> >> Location: Yana
> >> Habitat: Wild
>
> >> regards
> >> Prashant
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*
> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> Department of Botany.
> University of British Columbia .
> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)