Species id 211210 DKV 1

Dev Kumar

Dec 21, 2010, 12:19:34 AM12/21/10
to indiantreepix
Species id please.
Location: Sanchi, Dist Vidisha, Madhya Pradesh, India
DSC07228.JPG
DSC07234.JPG
DSC07235.JPG
DSC07248.JPG

mani nair

Dec 21, 2010, 12:30:25 AM12/21/10
to Dev Kumar, indiantreepix
Looks like Ziziphus jujuba (bor fruit)

Regards,

Mani.

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 21, 2010, 12:38:24 AM12/21/10
to mani nair, Dev Kumar, indiantreepix
No sir, 100% no for Ziziphus. Look at the fruit plz.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Dev Kumar

Dec 21, 2010, 1:33:33 AM12/21/10
to Pankaj Kumar, mani nair, indiantreepix
Am fairly sure it is not Bor. This was clicked near Stupa 2 at Sanchi. The guard on duty there told me that they do not eat the fruit

Neil Soares

Dec 21, 2010, 2:23:54 AM12/21/10
to indiantreepix, Dev Kumar
Hi,
 It could be Anogeissus pendula [A.acuminata].
                    With regards,
                      Neil Soares.

Nidhan Singh

Dec 21, 2010, 8:26:49 AM12/21/10
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, Dev Kumar
Dear All,
to me also this plant looks like Anogeissus sp.(Combretaceae)
Thanks

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 21, 2010, 12:26:40 PM12/21/10
to Nidhan Singh, Neil Soares, indiantreepix, Dev Kumar
Yes Neil ji, but the Nomenclature is reverse

Anogeissus acuminata (Roxb. ex DC.) Wall. ex Guill. & Perr. (syn: A. pendula Edgew.)

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Nayan Singh