Eranthemum pulchellum from Delhi thanks Shikant ji's key

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 23, 2011, 11:06:03 AM3/23/11
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Rashida Atthar, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
I think the riddle for me and Dinesh ji is finally solved, thanks to Shrikant ji's key and Pankaj ji's attachment

Eranthemum roseum and E. pulchellum are clearly very distinct

In E. roseum the spike is much longer but narrower usually longer than 7 cm, bracts are obovate, mucronate and strigose. This can be clearly seen in photographs by Dinesh ji and Nikhaje ji

In E. pulchellum (syn: E. nervosum) the spikes are much shorter usually shorter than 7 cm, broader, bracts elliptic, cuspidate and glabrous. This can be clearly seen in my photographs attached here.

In both these species the bracts are mottled green and white as against E. purpurascens where they are uniformally green

I am not familiar with Almeida's Flora, but notice that his key for Eranthemum does not seem to be working on more then one counts:

1. He records bracts as green in both E purpurascens and E. pulchellum, whereas they are mottled green and white in E. pulchellum
2. Spikes are not interrupted in E. pulchellum and bracts clearly longer than 1 cm
3. Bracts are densely hairy in both E. purpurascens and E. roseum.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Eranthemum-pulchellum-Khalsa-Delhi-1.jpg
Eranthemum-pulchellum-Khalsa-Delhi-2.jpg
Eranthemum-pulchellum-Khalsa-Delhi-3.jpg
Eranthemum-pulchellum-Khalsa-Delhi-4.jpg

Rashida Atthar

Mar 24, 2011, 1:49:18 AM3/24/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Sir, there is some variation in Dr. Almeida's keys(Proof -reading errors?)  and the description following each species of Eranthemum. As per your observations of E. pulchellum the following description from the flora matches for E. pulchellum for the bracts -I am quoting the entire description: " A shrub 0.6-1.5 meter high, Leaves upto 20 cm long and 10 cm broad, ovate, lineolate,  apex acuminate entire or  blunt crenulate. It has  white, concave, ovate, acuminate bracts green nerves and veins and blue flowers in uninterrupted spikes often forming  a terminal panicle."

Again for E. roseum the detailed description of  both bracts and  bracteoles is given I quote " Peduncles  quadrangular,bracts 9mm long , obovate, with a reflexed mucro, white with  very prominent raised green nerves, densely hairy on the midrib and  ciliate on the margins with long hair; bracteoles as long as or slightly  longer than the calyx , narrowly linear, acute , densely  clothed on the back and ciliate with long white hair

Before going through both the description I was sure your plant is not E. roseum but the fading flowers turning red as seen in one of your pictures, is it also a charecterisitic of E. pulchellum. If so than the riddle is solved .

regards,
Rashida.

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 24, 2011, 2:36:51 AM3/24/11
to Rashida Atthar, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Yes Rashida ji

The description matches, but some problem with his key.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

shrikant ingalhalikar

Mar 24, 2011, 3:10:51 AM3/24/11
to efloraofindia
Gurcharan Singhji,

Good, the key proved to be useful. I suggest that you add your plant
on the post where I had given a key for 3 species with pictures. You
may expand the key to include E. pulchellum. If anyone on the group
has any more plants of this genus even those could be added so that
the post can represent the genus for India. If full descriptions of
all species are added then this can be a part of eflora. Regards,
Shrikant

On Mar 23, 8:06 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the riddle for me and Dinesh ji is finally solved, thanks to
> Shrikant ji's key and Pankaj ji's attachment
>
> Eranthemum roseum and E. pulchellum are clearly very distinct
>
> In E. roseum the spike is much longer but narrower usually longer than 7 cm,
> bracts are obovate, mucronate and strigose. This can be clearly seen in
> photographs by Dinesh ji and Nikhaje ji
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/315815819/
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/318353211/
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/shubhada_nikharge/5256280357/in/set-7215...
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/shubhada_nikharge/5255717803/in/set-7215...
>
> In E. pulchellum (syn: E. nervosum) the spikes are much shorter usually
> shorter than 7 cm, broader, bracts elliptic, cuspidate and glabrous. This
> can be clearly seen in my photographs attached here.
>
> In both these species the bracts are mottled green and white as against E.
> purpurascens where they are uniformally green
>
> I am not familiar with Almeida's Flora, but notice that his key for
> Eranthemum does not seem to be working on more then one counts:
>
> 1. He records bracts as green in both E purpurascens and E. pulchellum,
> whereas they are mottled green and white in E. pulchellum
> 2. Spikes are not interrupted in E. pulchellum and bracts clearly longer
> than 1 cm
> 3. Bracts are densely hairy in both E. purpurascens and E. roseum.
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/315815819/>
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
>  Eranthemum-pulchellum-Khalsa-Delhi-1.jpg
> 229KViewDownload
>
>  Eranthemum-pulchellum-Khalsa-Delhi-2.jpg
> 209KViewDownload
>
>  Eranthemum-pulchellum-Khalsa-Delhi-3.jpg
> 244KViewDownload
>
>  Eranthemum-pulchellum-Khalsa-Delhi-4.jpg
> 283KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 24, 2011, 4:01:47 AM3/24/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Yes Shrikant ji
I was to do the same. In fact idea for insight into Delhi plant came to my mind only after seeing your illustrated key. But unfortunately could not locate it. Please send me the link, if you have it.