Trichosanthes cucumerina L.

Rashida Atthar

Oct 8, 2010, 8:49:21 AM10/8/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Saw this Cucurbitaceae at Sawantwadi, Maharashtra in Sep.'10. Hope ID is correct.

regards,
Rashida.
Trichosanthes cucumerina L. leaves flowers.JPG
Trichosanthes cucumerina L..JPG
Trichosanthes cucumerina L. stripped unripe fruit.JPG

tanay bose

Oct 8, 2010, 10:04:50 AM10/8/10
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice catch Rashida Ji
The photos represent all stages of the plant!
Try to add a close up of the flower if you can
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 8, 2010, 10:24:31 AM10/8/10
to tanay bose, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here are the fruits of Snake gourd Trichosanthes cucumerina var. anguina from California. I think it is grown and sold in India also.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Oct 8, 2010, 3:54:52 PM10/8/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes they are grown in India we call it "Chichinga" in Bengali
tanay

Swagat

Oct 10, 2010, 8:59:05 AM10/10/10
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

'Trichosanthes cucumerina' is called 'Raan Padval' 'रान पडवळ', 'Junglee Padval' 'जंगली पडवळ' or 'Kadu Padval' 'कडू पडवळ' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568 / 9422317979.

2010/10/8 Rashida Atthar <atthar....@gmail.com>

Saw this Cucurbitaceae at Sawantwadi, Maharashtra in Sep.'10. Hope ID is correct.

regards,
Rashida.

Jayanta

Oct 27, 2010, 4:41:22 AM10/27/10
to efloraofindia
To me this is Trichosanthes tricuspidata
= Modecca bracteata Lam.
= Trichosanthes bracteata (Lam.) Voigt
= Trichosanthes palmata Roxb.

Balkar Arya

Oct 27, 2010, 10:09:52 AM10/27/10
to Jayanta, efloraofindia
Jayanta Ji
T tricuspidata bears almost round fruit.
Posted plant is Trichosanthes cucumerina

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat