Euphorbiaceae week write up.

1 view

Satish Phadke

Mar 10, 2011, 9:56:31 AM3/10/11
to indiantreepix
I am sure most of the members have read the nicely written details about the family Euphorbiaceae by Rashida ji[efloraofindia:64293]
I would like to highlight some important characters of this family.
It is a Large and extremely variable family : It shows a great range in vegetative as well as floral structures.
The inflorescence in Euphorbia and related genera like Chamaesyce is
.............first branching usually racemose.
.............subsequent branching is cymose.
..................The partial inflorescence is a Cyathium which appears as a single flower.(Seen in Rahida ji's write up.)
(I urge members to post some additional close ups of this; if they have any)
.............THERE ARE OFTEN NO PETALS AND SEPALS. THE BRACTS ARE PETALLOID AND SHOWY COLOURED.
.............The male flower is represented by just an androecium having only pedicel stamen and anthers. While the female flower has only pedicel ovary style and stigma.
I have compiled this info. and sharing with the group esp. for those non botanist members who may not be knowing this; as the conventional visible flowers are not seen in some of the genara from Euphorbiaceae when one is searching flowers in nature.
Regards
Dr Phadke Satish
http://satishphadke.blogspot.com/2008/07/euphorbiaceae.html

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 10, 2011, 10:09:34 AM3/10/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Thanks a lot for this informative note sir.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 10, 2011, 10:46:44 AM3/10/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Very Good and informative write up, Satish ji. Please continue the good work

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Bhatt Sweta

Mar 10, 2011, 11:32:13 PM3/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Very nice compilation with detailed information.
Thanks a lot for sharing with us.

Regards,
Shweta
--