Kalatope id al120611a

Alok Mahendroo

Jun 12, 2011, 1:45:50 PM6/12/11

Jun 12, 2011, 9:18:07 PM6/12/11

Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 12, 2011, 10:19:21 PM6/12/11
to Nidhan Singh, Alok Mahendroo, efloraofindia
Impatiens parviflora Hook.f. (non DC) is correctly known as I. flemingii Hook.f. and I think has yellowish flowers. This plant can be I. laxiflora Edgew. (syn: I. micrantha Edgew.), but needs to be confirmed as I have not seen it.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Alok Mahendroo

Jun 13, 2011, 12:27:33 PM6/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Nidhan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Sir.. but how can we confirm if it is I. laxiflora..
regards
ALok
On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 07:49 +0530, Gurcharan Singh wrote:
> I. laxiflora

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 1, 2011, 9:26:13 AM9/1/11
to efloraofindia, Alok & Isabelle, Tabish, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Nidhan Singh
Resurfacing again for ID confirmation

Earlier feedback

Nidhan ji..............................................This can be Impatiens parviflora
Me.....................................................Impatiens parviflora Hook.f. (non DC) is correctly known as I. flemingii Hook.f. and I think has yellowish flowers. This plant can be I. laxiflora Edgew. (syn: I. micranthemum Edgew.), but needs to be confirmed as I have not seen it.

Tabish ji, this one does seem to have smaller flowers. could it be I. micranthemum.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
DSCN1014.jpg
DSCN1019.jpg

Alok Mahendroo

Sep 24, 2011, 2:08:37 PM9/24/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Tabish, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Nidhan Singh
Sir any clues to this one.. if there is anything to be confirmed of the
characteristics.. I think it is still in bloom..
regards
Alok

--
Himalayan Village Education Trust
Village Khudgot,

www.hivetrust.wordpress.com
www.forwildlife.wordpress.com
http://mushroomobserver.org/observer/observations_by_user?_js=on&_new=true&id=2186

Balkar Arya

Sep 24, 2011, 9:20:57 PM9/24/11
to Alok Mahendroo, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Tabish, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Nidhan Singh
May be Impatiens laxiflora but no much information and some chinese sites shows its color yellow
to me Alok ji's plant and our plant shot from deovan area looks I parviflora as
Flowers pale yellow, throat often reddish spotted, ( eflora.org). Any such feature not mention for I laxiflora
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Alok Mahendroo

Sep 25, 2011, 5:06:21 AM9/25/11
to Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Tabish, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Nidhan Singh
Thank you Balkar ji,
Does look like it from what I could glean on the net about I.
parviflora.
regards
Alok

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 25, 2011, 9:47:46 AM9/25/11
to Alok Mahendroo, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Tabish, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Nidhan Singh
Both Impatiens laxiflora and Impatiens micranthemum are described in Flora Simlensis, former has yellow flowers and flower about 2.5 cm long of which spur longer than rest of flower). In I. micranthemum flowers are white, about 1.2 cm long spotted with yellow and pink, spur as long as rest of flower.
We can conclude that our plant is I. micranthemum, leaving aside the synonymy for the present.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

Sep 25, 2011, 10:35:26 AM9/25/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Alok Mahendroo, efloraofindia, Tabish, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Nidhan Singh
Thanks Sir Agreed our and Alok ji's plant I micraanthemum

Alok Mahendroo

Sep 25, 2011, 12:23:21 PM9/25/11
to Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Tabish, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Nidhan Singh
Begging your pardon sir but is I.micraanthemum a synonym for Gurcharan
ji's observation given on the link below.. which I think is like my
observation....
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/24dafd16e4b6b0c1/13593b5060f66ef0?lnk=gst&q=Impatiens+brachycentra#13593b5060f66ef0

Also attaching a photo of the spur which not included earlier an
oversight on my part.. sorry for that..

regards
Alok

On Sun, 2011-09-25 at 20:05 +0530, Balkar Arya wrote:
> micraanthemum

081711_2375.jpg
081711_2376.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 25, 2011, 1:25:28 PM9/25/11
to Alok Mahendroo, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Tabish, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Nidhan Singh
Alok ji
Not to get confused, I. brachycentra is a species with much smaller flower (not longer than 6 mm) and spur almost absent, just like a knob where as in I. micranthemum and your specimen the spur is much longer, flower larger and lower lip much longer.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Alok Mahendroo

Sep 26, 2011, 4:18:01 AM9/26/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Tabish, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Nidhan Singh
Dear sir,
Some photos with measurements of the same for your perusal (the flower
is still blooming)... I am sorry if I am dragging this too far.. but the
spur is much smaller than the flower...
regards
Alok
092511_4221a.jpg
092511_4222a.jpg
092511_4223a.jpg
092511_4224a.jpg
092611_4268a.jpg
092611_4269a.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 26, 2011, 5:11:03 AM9/26/11
to Alok Mahendroo, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Tabish, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Nidhan Singh
Alok ji
I have seen spur in your photographs, it is much longer than I brachycentra, where it is almost non existant. Your flower without spur is 9 mm, spur I think atleast 3 mm would make it 12 mm, double the size of I. brachycentra

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 26, 2011, 5:26:39 AM9/26/11
to Alok Mahendroo, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Tabish, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Nidhan Singh
Alok ji
Better upload one close up of flower in which spur is clearly seen

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Alok Mahendroo

Sep 26, 2011, 7:44:30 AM9/26/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Tabish, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Nidhan Singh
No...no .. sir..!! I do not wish to say that it is I brachycentra,
anymore because it does not fit that bill.. but if it is not that and
neither I. micranthemum... then it could be something else.. and we
could figure that out only if you'd give me specific instructions for
observation...

For me it is like any puzzle and THAT I'd love... I'll send you the
photo of the spur tomorrow... if there is any other instruction too
please let me know and I'll try to follow them as best as I can to my
limited understanding...

Thank you for your patience and help
regards
Alok

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 14:41 +0530, Gurcharan Singh wrote:
> I brachycentra

Ushadi micromini

Sep 26, 2011, 12:41:47 PM9/26/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg, Alok

very interesting... flower and this conversation...

even I who studies anatomy of normal and abnormal human tissues and
organs and go thru something more protracted than this with my
students...and residents......... am enjoying this and MORE
IMPORTANT

>>>LEARNING FROM IT>>

ABOUT ANATOMY OF A FLOWER AND DIAGNOSTIC PROCESS...
PLEASE CONTINUE THIS LESSON>>>

DR> SINGH FOR ALL OUR SAKE... not the least of whom is ALOK JI...
and ALOK JI: I COMMEND YOU... you are a very good student...

LOVE IT...
USha di (the one more student of Dr Singh here)

=================
> www.hivetrust.wordpress.comwww.forwildlife.wordpress.comhttp://mushroomobserver.org/observer/observations_by_user?_js=on&_new...

Alok Mahendroo

Sep 26, 2011, 12:52:45 PM9/26/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg
Usha di,
I don't know if I am a good student or not .. only time will tell.. but
I remember as students we were very afraid to ask questions (because it
was frowned upon) and that led to our own ignorance.. I am fortunate
that I have a very good teacher and guide in Gurcharan ji.. I DO hope
that I can justify his effort...
My interest in flowers is quite recent and has been especially fueled by
the good members of this forum and that I live in a place where this is
a very appropriate study.
Thank you all for the continued support
regards
Alok

www.hivetrust.wordpress.com
www.forwildlife.wordpress.com
http://mushroomobserver.org/observer/observations_by_user?_js=on&_new=true&id=2186

ushadi Micromini

Sep 26, 2011, 1:56:35 PM9/26/11
to Alok Mahendroo, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg
Yes Alok ji: In India often we met with such teachers...

but when I moved to the west ... many many years ago...
one of my teachers... of Irish descent in USA .. told me ( I had just received a rude answer from another american teacher and hence was crest fallen) .. anyway this mentor of mine told me:  A TEACHER ONLY GETS UPSET WITH A QUESTION WHEN HE DOES NOT KNOW THE INFORMATION OR HAS NO WAY OF TEACHING HIS KNOWLEDGE>>. so not to get upset, but forgive the ignorant fool and move on to find a better teacher...

I have always remembered this adage from him, I still thank him for changing my life attitude towards "teachers" ..and he helped me question authority.. and it was a good thing... so instead , I metamorphosed from a NICE LITTLE INDIAN Girl into a NICE KNOWLEDGEABLE PROFESSOR who QUESTIONED HER OWN AUTHORITY SOMETIMES...  not all that have a professor title are teachers... and I have tried to be a good teacher myself.. being patient with my students  and saying honestly when I dont know something...

AND ,,   THE PROCESS OF INQUIRY AND CURIOSITY SEEKING HAS REMAINED THE SAME FOR NATURALISTS FOR THE LAST FEW CENTURIES>>>

If we are honest  with our inquiry we can get the answers as lofty as those gotten by  COPERNICUS or Goethe or Buckminster Fuller   et al... list is long, very long... ... great stuff...

AND WHAT YOU SAY IS RIGHT>>> GURCHARANJI is a wonderful teacher.. patient and knowledgeable...   we all learn ...

thank you for continuing to ask...

Usha di
=======

Alok Mahendroo

Sep 27, 2011, 3:22:13 AM9/27/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Tabish, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Nidhan Singh
More close-ups sir,
the spur is clearly 2mm and the flower length is 9mm.. I also checked
the flowers around and it has only yellow color with a tinge of green
inside...
regards
Alok
092711_4362.jpg
092711_4366.jpg
092711_4368.jpg
092711_4374.jpg

ashutoshsharma11sn

Jun 26, 2019, 6:51:28 AM6/26/19
to efloraofindia
This is Impatiens brachycentra.

This can't be I. scullyi because flower as well as spur is very small also there are other differences including the larger upper lobe of lateral united petal which is comparitively smaller in I.scullyi.

Best regards
Ashutosh Sharma

J.M. Garg

Jun 26, 2019, 7:03:27 AM6/26/19
to efloraofindia, Ashutosh Sharma, Isabelle & Alok, GurcharanSingh, Balkar Arya, Nidhan Singh
This is Impatiens brachycentra.
This can't be I. scullyi because flower as well as spur is very small also there are other differences including the larger upper lobe of lateral united petal which is comparatively smaller in I.scullyi.
Best regards
Ashutosh Sharma

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 12,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 1,70,000 images are directly displayed).

092711_4362.jpg
092711_4366.jpg
092711_4368.jpg
092711_4374.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jun 26, 2019, 7:03:56 AM6/26/19
to efloraofindia, Ashutosh Sharma, Isabelle & Alok, GurcharanSingh, Balkar Arya, Nidhan Singh
to efloraofindia, Ashutosh Sharma, Isabelle & Alok, GurcharanSingh, Balkar Arya, Nidhan Singh
to efloraofindia, Ashutosh Sharma, Isabelle & Alok, GurcharanSingh, Balkar Arya, Nidhan Singh
DSCN1014.jpg
DSCN1019.jpg

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 26, 2019, 7:17:33 AM6/26/19
to efloraindia, Ashutosh Sharma, Isabelle & Alok, GurcharanSingh, Balkar Arya, Nidhan Singh
Impatiens stocksii Hook.f. & Thomson ??

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju