Fruits & Vegetables: Solanum..(?)_RKC

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Jan 8, 2011, 10:56:01 PM1/8/11
to efloraofindia

Solanum sp. (Pl confirm the species)

Family: Solanaceae

Loc.: Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh (ca 550 m)

Uses: Fruits are edible. Bitter in taste.

Local name: Tita Baigan/Cope

Regards,
Ritesh.
DSC_0145.JPG
DSC_0146.JPG
DSC_0147.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 9, 2011, 4:50:44 AM1/9/11
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, efloraofindia
Shape looks like S. diphyllum. Do you have any photograph of twig?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Jan 9, 2011, 4:56:53 AM1/9/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
I'll search for the foto sir! It has purple flower and is commonly cultivated in Arunachal. I earlier thought it to be Solanum kurzii. But that plant is listed in Red Data Book. So m not sure still.

Regads,
Ritesh.

J.M. Garg

Apr 20, 2011, 7:36:05 AM4/20/11
to efloraofindia, tab...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, dr_m...@yahoo.com, mithi...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, Pravir, Gurcharan Singh

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Shape looks like S. diphyllum. Do you have any photograph of twig?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

“I'll search for the foto sir! It has purple flower and is commonly cultivated in Arunachal. I earlier thought it to be Solanum kurzii. But that plant is listed in Red Data Book. So m not sure still.
Regards,
Ritesh.”

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1580 members & 66,000 messages on 30/3/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 4500 species)

DSC_0145.JPG
DSC_0146.JPG
DSC_0147.JPG

Pravir Deshmukh

Apr 21, 2011, 12:05:40 AM4/21/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, tab...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, dr_m...@yahoo.com, mithi...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, Gurcharan Singh
Dear Sir

The plant is Solanum melongena L.

--
Pravir Deshmukh
09717611977

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 21, 2011, 5:52:03 AM4/21/11
to Pravir Deshmukh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, tab...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, dr_m...@yahoo.com, mithi...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com
Even smallest fruits in S. melongena are not not that small. Also skin texture is different.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

H S

Apr 21, 2011, 6:18:51 AM4/21/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Pravir Deshmukh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, tab...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com, dr_m...@yahoo.com, mithi...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com
The fruits of S. melongena elongated...it can be Solanum undatum or incanum

- HemSon

J.M. Garg

Jul 1, 2016, 3:45:45 AM7/1/16
to efloraofindia, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary
A reply from another thread:
''I think this is Solanum aethiopicum L. Here are more details from wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_aethiopicum
Requesting Gurcharan sir and other experts to confirm.
Regards,
Ritesh.''
DSC_0145.JPG
DSC_0146.JPG