please id the tree

prasanna gogate

May 28, 2011, 5:39:42 AM5/28/11
to efloraofindia
dear all
it is tree. it ornamental tree in dapoli maharashtra. please help in id

prasanna gogate
DSC03162.JPG
DSC03163.JPG

amit chauhan

May 28, 2011, 5:48:23 AM5/28/11
to prasanna gogate, efloraofindia

Hi,

Is it Albizzia odoratissima just a wild guess !

regards
--
Dr. Amit Chauhan
Junior Technical Assistant

Pudji Widodo

May 28, 2011, 9:35:28 AM5/28/11
to efloraofindia
I think it is Calliandra surinamensis

Pudji Widodo
Faculty of Biology Jenderal Soedirman University
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

Ushadi micromini

May 28, 2011, 11:35:04 PM5/28/11
to prasanna gogate, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Pudji Widodo
Dear Prasanna ji and ALL:
this seems to be mimosa I saw everyday in summer in the midwest...
often considered a nuisance, though a beautiful nuisance... since its
seeds anywhere from its profusely produced seeds.... I knew this was
not my beloved Siris tree from back home in Calcutta since the leaf
pattern is different.... This tree, as in your picture and in the USA
midwest, very small leaflets,(tiny tiny) almost as small as the
delonix regia leaflets.... THIS TREE is called the silk tree from the
silky flowers, and botanically *Albizia * julibrissin*...

AND the reason its neither Albizzia odoratissima nor Calliandra
surinamensis, is superficially the same: both of these have larger
leaflets... almost as big as distal end of a lady's pinky finger....
I am sure there is a botanical key .....
BUT this my non-botanists quick observation...

AND PLEASE TELL ME: IS DAPOLI a different name for DAPURI? where
there used to be a botanical garden established in about 1837-1838 by
Alexander Gibson??? So are DAPOLI and DAPURI SAME or different....

Thanks
Usha di
========

>  DSC03162.JPG
> 414KViewDownload
>
>  DSC03163.JPG
> 454KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

May 29, 2011, 1:05:00 AM5/29/11
to Ushadi micromini, prasanna gogate, efloraofindia, Pudji Widodo
Although flower colour does resemble Albizia julibrissin, but the number of pinnae and pinnules is much greater than this or any other species of Albizia.

It can also not be any species of Mimosa, where never such numerous pinnae and pinnules are found.

It can't be calliandra surinamensis in which there is only one pair of pinnae and 8-12 pairs of pinnules

This plant approaches c. calothryrsus and C. houstoniana, nearer to C. houstoniana (Mill.) Standl., which is characterised by leaves with 7-12 pairs of pinnae and 30-40 pairs of oblong linear pinnules, but the flower heads here are borne on much longer peduncles. Perhaps a better match is needed.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired Associate Professor

ushadi Micromini

May 29, 2011, 8:06:18 AM5/29/11
to Gurcharan Singh, prasanna gogate, efloraofindia, Pudji Widodo
Dear Gurucharanji:
you may be right....

Mimosa I was refering to is a chalti bhasha name in the USA...ie what people called it day to day... I did not base my "diagnosis 'on flower color.... it was a combination.. of flower shape, color, and the leaves size and arrangement..

Exactly the same flower arrangement and color occurs in siris gach in Bengal, which I understand is a S. SAMAN .............

In final analysis it would be of great help if we were to have an id key of sorts for this type of flower... be it pink or white.... it would reduce the confusion in my mind a lot...
thanks you .
Usha di
-----

H S

May 29, 2011, 9:58:27 AM5/29/11
to ushadi Micromini, Gurcharan Singh, prasanna gogate, efloraofindia, Pudji Widodo

sir ji

Can it would be A. julibrissin var. rosea

Just guess

--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Gurcharan Singh

May 29, 2011, 10:14:45 AM5/29/11
to H S, ushadi Micromini, prasanna gogate, efloraofindia, Pudji Widodo
Yes H S
My first reaction was A. julibrissin only as I have seen several trees in Kashmir and California, the flowers being distinctive  but was dissuaded by the description in Hortus Third. Now after going through  eFlora of Pakistan according to which pinnae number could varry from 4-15 pairs and pinnules 20-30 pairs.

I think we can settle with Albizia julibrissin var. rosea

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ushadi micromini

May 29, 2011, 10:31:55 AM5/29/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Gurucharan ji:
So this is the weed that nature lovers are trying to eradicate out of
USA terrains... its on a list of most wanted... to remove....
such beautiful flowers though.... on this mimosa ... Albizzia
julibrisson var. rosea....

I wonder if it has medicineal properties...
may be Dr. Pankaj Oudhia can tell us...
Thanks USha di.

On May 29, 7:14 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes H S
> My first reaction was A. julibrissin only as I have seen several trees in
> Kashmir and California, the flowers being distinctive  but was dissuaded by
> the description in Hortus Third. Now after going through  eFlora of Pakistan
> according to which pinnae number could varry from 4-15 pairs and pinnules
> 20-30 pairs.
>
> I think we can settle with Albizia julibrissin var. rosea
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

May 29, 2011, 11:42:48 AM5/29/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Oh yes Usha di,
 now I remember when I was photographing this plant in California, a person came out and asked me why I am taking photograph of this useless tree. I was surprised to find an American speaking like that, because otherwise they are so courteous that when they see a stranger on the road they would never miss smiling or saying hello. Many a times they would stop and ask me about the plants I was taking photographs of, and very happy when I would tell them about my profession and love for photography. I have been wondering why that person spoke like that.  Now that you have told me I can connect.
    And yes, Albizia julibrissin is generally grown in parks but not in or outside the compounds of people. There lies the secret.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Satish Chile

May 29, 2011, 12:27:52 PM5/29/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Yes Gurcharan ji, I fully agree with you for Albizia julibrissin var. rosea.
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

prasanna gogate

May 29, 2011, 12:48:07 PM5/29/11
to Satish Chile, Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
thank you very much on great discussion
regards
prasanna gogate

Satish Phadke

May 30, 2011, 12:02:02 PM5/30/11
to prasanna gogate, efloraofindia
Any chance of Albizia chinensis? Wild guess.......

shrikant ingalhalikar

May 30, 2011, 1:52:06 PM5/30/11
to efloraofindia
A gland at 2-3 cm above the base of petiole and smaller glands at the
base of upper pinnae, pinnae 6-20 pairs, leaflets not wider than 6 mm,
heads panicled, stamens 4 times longer than corolla, is A. chinensis
(Osb.) Merr. syn A. stipulata (Roxb.) Boiv. Locally Udal, a tree of
evergreen forests of western ghats. Regards, Shrikant

On May 30, 9:02 pm, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any chance of Albizia chinensis? Wild guess.......
>
> On 28 May 2011 15:09, prasanna gogate <gogat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > dear all
> > it is tree. it ornamental tree in dapoli maharashtra. please help in id
>
> > prasanna gogate- Hide quoted text -

Gurcharan Singh

May 30, 2011, 9:50:49 PM5/30/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Shrikant ji
I fear Colour of stamens may not come in way of A. chinensis

Here is the key from eFlora of China

Stipules smaller than leaflets, linear; rachis of inflorescence short
 and zigzag; stamens pink.                                                                                             15. A. julibrissin

+ Stipules larger than leaflets, half-cordate; rachis of
inflorescence long and straight; stamens green-white
or yellow.                                                                                                                              16. A. chinensis

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

rajiv

Jun 1, 2011, 8:22:32 AM6/1/11
to efloraofindia
Usha di, this dapoli is there in konkan region of maharashtra & dapuri
(now dapodi ) is near pune city.

On May 29, 8:35 am, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>

Ushadi micromini

Jun 2, 2011, 10:30:41 AM6/2/11
to efloraofindia

Thanks, all and RAJIV: I kept asking because DAPURI used to have one
of the oldest botanical gardens established in this country...

Usha di
==

J.M. Garg

Sep 3, 2011, 11:53:00 AM9/3/11
to efloraofindia, prasanna gogate, Gurcharan Singh, H S, Satish Phadke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Ushadi micromini, amit chauhan, pudji...@gmail.com, chile...@gmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“ this seems to be mimosa I saw everyday in summer in the midwest...o ften considered a nuisance, though a beautiful nuisance... since its seeds anywhere from its profusely produced seeds.... I knew this  was not my beloved Siris tree from back home in Calcutta since the leaf pattern is different.... This tree, as in your  picture and in the USA midwest, very small leaflets,(tiny tiny)  almost as small as the delonix regia leaflets....  THIS TREE is called the silk tree from the silky flowers, and botanically *Albizia *  julibrissin*...”   from Usha di.

“Can it would be A. julibrissin var. rosea

Just guess

--

 - H.S.”

“Yes H S

My first reaction was A. julibrissin only as I have seen several trees in Kashmir and California, the flowers being distinctive  but was dissuaded by the description in Hortus Third. Now after going through  eFlora of Pakistan according to which pinnae number could varry from 4-15 pairs and pinnules 20-30 pairs.

I think we can settle with Albizia julibrissin var. rosea

--

Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

"Any chance of Albizia chinensis? Wild guess......." from Satish ji.

[...]

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1700 members & 79,000 messages on 31/8/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5500 species)

DSC03162.JPG
DSC03163.JPG

Giby Kuriakose

Sep 4, 2011, 1:00:05 AM9/4/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, prasanna gogate, Gurcharan Singh, H S, Satish Phadke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Ushadi micromini, amit chauhan, pudji...@gmail.com, chile...@gmail.com
My guess is for A. julibrissin, as Shrikanth Ji suggested.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

J.M. Garg

Apr 6, 2021, 5:53:34 AM4/6/21
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju

Apr 6, 2021, 6:24:01 AM4/6/21
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
I think Albizia julibrissin Durazz as stamen colour is pink as per keys at Flora of China
DSC03162.JPG
DSC03163.JPG