Request for info on what trees to plant near home

Suresh V

Mar 7, 2011, 11:44:10 PM3/7/11
to efloraofindia
Hello everyone

I hope I am not offtopic here. I am looking for information on which
trees I can plant near home that would not damage the foundation..
I was very keen on coconut trees and planted couple of them, but am
reading that their roots go horizontally and will damage the
foundation eventually. So planning to take them out now itself.

Have planted one Singapore Cherry tree in the corner of the plot,
which I hope is a good idea.

Also planted a neem tree just outside the fence on the street, which
is some 10 feet away from the bulding and couple of feet below. Guess
that one's roots in future wont be a concern...

Also within the fence on the sides of the building planted Amla, Curry
leaf tree and guava tree - hope these aren't major concerns as well
with regard to roots. Please advise otherwise.

There is a jackfruit tree that is growing on its own from one corner
of the plot, which I didn't plant but came out of the seeds thrown
there.. I'm thinking of removing it as it could become a threat when
it grows big - it is only some 10 feet from building...

Can experts here please give me names of a couple of trees I can plant
in the home garden? I am interested in small trees that are native,
would not be a concern of roots damaging building foundation, and also
would grow to a good height and provide some shade.. Bonus would be
being native trees and that would attract birds.

My home is at Hosur, Tamilnadu. It is a rocky scrubland in town
outskirts, has red sand, receives good rainfall during monsoon, hot
during summer, and moderately cold in winter.

Appreciate your valuable inputs here.

Best Wishes,
Suresh.
Hosur, Tamilnadu.

Pudji Widodo

Mar 9, 2011, 9:52:40 AM3/9/11
to efloraofindia
Hi there,

I saw a lot of trees planted very close to buildings in Paris France,
but I didn't know the names. I have Durio zibethnus, Mangifera indica,
Psidium guajava, and Syzygium polyanthum very close to my house.
Don't plant Artocarpus heterophyllus, A. altilis etc. because their
roots can lift your foundation.

Pudji Widodo