ID Pls - Unknown Plant grows every year !!

Paldas Photography

Aug 9, 2011, 3:16:52 AM8/9/11
to efloraofindia
dear all,

this picture was taken in my garden at kolkata, west bengal , India. It grows every year automatically in the month of June /July & it starts flowering in Oct. Color of the flower - white , which attracts huge amount of red ants. The plant dies automatically in Dec/Jan.

please let me know the name & character of the plant.
Image0854.jpg

Pudji Widodo

Aug 9, 2011, 4:17:00 AM8/9/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Somnath Pal Das,

I think this is Cheilocostus speciosus (J.König) C.D.Specht, Taxon 55:
159 (2006).

Regards,
Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

Tanay Bose

Aug 9, 2011, 9:42:23 AM8/9/11
to Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
Yes Cheilocostus speciosus previously known as Costus speciosus
Tanay

2011/8/9 Pudji Widodo <pudji...@gmail.com>

--
Tanay Bose