Fruits & Vegetables Week: RVS-19

Vijayasankar

Jan 4, 2011, 11:58:45 PM1/4/11
to indiatreepix
Typhonium trilobatum, 'Karunai kizhangu' in Tamil. The corm (underground stem) is used (after boiling in salt water to nullify the calcium oxalate rhaphides) as vegetable.
Picture was taken at medicinal plants garden within FRLHT campus, bangalore.
Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

typhonium trilobatum_1.JPG
typhonium trilobatum_3.JPG
typhonium trilobatum-2.JPG
typhonium trilobatum-5.JPG
typhonium trilobatum-6.JPG

Muthu Karthick

Jan 5, 2011, 12:22:54 AM1/5/11
to Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Nice pictures sir.
I would be happier if anyone could post the corm pic of this plant
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 09626833911
www.careearthtrust.org

tanay bose

Jan 5, 2011, 12:50:34 AM1/5/11
to Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
A great collection fo plants from Vijaya ji
thanks for sharing
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Prashant awale

Jan 5, 2011, 6:14:03 AM1/5/11
to tanay bose, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Thanks Vijayasankar ji for sharing. Really a nice collection...
regards
Prashant

Vijayasankar

Jan 5, 2011, 12:33:15 PM1/5/11
to Prashant awale, tanay bose, Muthu Karthick, indiatreepix
Thanx Muthu, Tanay and Prashan ji for the appreciations.
The corms used to be plentyly available in the markets earlier. For some reasons, they are rarely seen nowadays. I dont think i have a picture of plant with corm.