Flora of Uttarakhand- Herb16 for Id- JM

J.M. Garg

Nov 17, 2010, 11:42:33 PM11/17/10
to efloraofindia

Wild Herb captured on 13/8/10 during the trek from Ghangaria (around 11,000 ft.) to Hemkunt Sahib (around 14000 ft.).

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Herb16 I2 IMG_4808.jpg
Herb16 I2 IMG_4810.jpg
Herb16 I3 IMG_4808.jpg
Herb16 I IMG_4809.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 3, 2010, 10:06:04 AM12/3/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
This looks like Cremanthodium to me.... not sure of the species.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Prashant awale

Dec 3, 2010, 10:14:08 AM12/3/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I think this could be Cremanthodium oblongatum?
regards
Prashant

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 3, 2010, 11:51:27 AM12/3/10
to Prashant awale, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I was about to righr C. oblongatum when I saw Prashant ji's message. The venation is clearly pinnate (the only species from neighbouring region to have it) and leaves somewhat oblong.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 3, 2010, 12:30:54 PM12/3/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
There is just one big issue here
Flower head is supposed to be solitary in Cremanthodium oblongatum.
Which is not the case here.
Our plant has clear terminal spike like cluster!!

Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 3, 2010, 1:20:20 PM12/3/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Prashant awale, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Yes Pankaj ji
It is a big issue. Cremanthodium is not known (to my knowledge) to have more than one head on a peduncle.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 3, 2010, 1:38:23 PM12/3/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
No, there are two groups.

1. Flower heads in terminal spike like structure
Includes - retusum, hookerii, arnicoides.

2. Flower heads solitary.
Includes - renforme, decaisnei,purpureifolium, ellisii, oblongatum,
nepalense, nanum.

Regards
Pankaj

J.M. Garg

Dec 5, 2010, 6:09:35 AM12/5/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, efloraofindia, tanay bose, Tabish

Thanks, Singh ji, Pankaj ji & Prashant ji.

In that case, I think it matches with Cremanthodium arnicoides details in Concise Flowers of Himalayas by Oleg Polunin & Adam Stainton.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1460 members & 55,000 messages on 29/11/10 & with a database of around 4300 species on 31/10/10)

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 5, 2010, 3:33:38 PM12/5/10
to J.M. Garg, Pankaj Kumar, Prashant awale, efloraofindia, tanay bose, Tabish
Yes Cremanthodium arnicoides, formerly Senecio arnicoides.