Fruits & Vegetables Week: Taraxacum officinale, the common dandelion

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 13, 2011, 9:44:44 AM1/13/11
to efloraofindia
Taraxacum officinale, the common dandelion, very common in the Himalayan region often found in meadows and forests. In India leaves are used as vegetable only by local people, but dandelion leaves are sold in big stores of California and relished by residents.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Taraxacum-officinale-Kashmir-a.jpg
Taraxacum-officinale-Kashmir-b.jpg
Taraxacum-officinale-Kashmir-c.jpg
Taraxacum-officinale-Dandelion-California-1.jpg

tanay bose

Jan 13, 2011, 9:59:58 AM1/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
I have seen this plant frowing as weed around vancouver
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

mani nair

Jan 17, 2011, 2:21:12 AM1/17/11
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji, Nice photos of the flowers and plant.  I have seen these plant on the way to Gulmarg.  We used to blow on the dried flower heads to see the seeds flying in wind.

Regards,

Mani.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 17, 2011, 4:12:17 AM1/17/11
to mani nair, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Yes Mani ji
This was a a regular pastime in our childhood. We would hold the achene head carefully so that it remains instact, then ask the friend whether he wants a turban or a cap. If he would ask for a turban we would blow it gently so that only a few achenes fall out and the heads has many achenes forming a turban. If the friend asked for a cap, we would blow it strongly so that all achenes fall off and cap like naked head is visible.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

mani nair

Jan 17, 2011, 6:35:54 AM1/17/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan ji.   I located my photos.  Here are two.
Regards,
Mani.
kashflow2.jpg
kashflow.JPG