Fruiting time from Sapling in Manilkara Hexandra.

Rakesh Biswas

Jun 3, 2011, 5:19:14 AM6/3/11
to indiantreepix
Would be grateful to know what is the fruiting time in years from a sapling in 'Khirni/manilkara hexandra.'

regards,

rakesh

J.M. Garg

Sep 4, 2011, 3:24:37 AM9/4/11
to efloraofindia, dinesh...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, jnur...@gmail.com, hsb...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, landd...@hotmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com, Rakesh Biswas

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1700 members & 79,000 messages on 31/8/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5500 species)

promila chaturvedi

Sep 15, 2011, 4:18:12 AM9/15/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, dinesh...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, jnur...@gmail.com, hsb...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, landd...@hotmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com, Rakesh Biswas
Mr. Biswas,
I remeber my childhood. During summer vacation all of us (children) go to our village to be with our grand pa. There was a large Khirni tree. During our stay (May-June ) we used to get of khirni plucked (known as Jhar karna) and eat the ripe -sweet and sticky fruits.
Promila

ushadi Micromini

Sep 15, 2011, 7:16:42 AM9/15/11
to promila chaturvedi, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, dinesh...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, jnur...@gmail.com, hsb...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, landd...@hotmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com, Rakesh Biswas
Dear Rakesh: I needed to dig out my old pictures.. by March/april Manlkara are done flowering and fruiting... ie did not get any flowers or fruits pictures... there is one at KolbotGand and another set is of  one in VicM G ... both were full of green leaves but none of the fruits or flowers... had some ripe wrinkled fruits on the ground... did they belong to the same tree(s) ?         cant say...  need to look in the fall and winter to follow up..
now that you have asked, I will.. keep an eye ...

Usha di

==

Rakesh Biswas

Sep 15, 2011, 11:07:18 AM9/15/11
to ushadi Micromini, promila chaturvedi, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, dinesh...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, jnur...@gmail.com, hsb...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, landd...@hotmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com
Thanks Usha di and Ms Promila for your valuable inputs.

warm regards,

rakesh

Giby Kuriakose

Sep 15, 2011, 1:42:25 PM9/15/11
to Rakesh Biswas, ushadi Micromini, promila chaturvedi, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, dinesh...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, jnur...@gmail.com, hsb...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, landd...@hotmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com
I have got reference only on flowering. Flowering of M. hexandra is during August- December.
I assume the fruiting would be around January-April.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Rakesh Biswas

Sep 15, 2011, 1:51:08 PM9/15/11
to Giby Kuriakose, ushadi Micromini, promila chaturvedi, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, dinesh...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, jnur...@gmail.com, hsb...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, landd...@hotmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com
I guess i needed to have reframed the question slightly. How long (years?) does Manilkara take to bear fruit from its birth as a sapling?

rakesh

ushadi Micromini

Sep 16, 2011, 12:02:50 AM9/16/11
to Rakesh Biswas, Giby Kuriakose, promila chaturvedi, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, dinesh...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, jnur...@gmail.com, hsb...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, landd...@hotmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com, ushadi Micromini
Rakesh:   :)...

I wish we had some well educated horticulturists  within my friends' circle and/or  here..
who would be willing to part with their knowledge ...

I am sure some graduate student some where has studied life history of your tree...Manilkara  hexandra...

All I can tell you   right now is that Sabeda is a Manilkara zapota... if grafted on old root stock ... starts off early... I had a natural bonsai last year that had fruits by second year after grafting...  it died in the hands of my gardener when I was  out of town for part of the year....sad...

AND TELL ME WHY SO YOU WANT A MANILKARA HEXANDRA  ??//

any special reason??

Usha di

========

Rakesh Biswas

Sep 16, 2011, 4:56:46 AM9/16/11
to ushadi Micromini, Giby Kuriakose, promila chaturvedi, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, dinesh...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, jnur...@gmail.com, hsb...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, landd...@hotmail.com, ajinky...@gmail.com
Thanks Usha di, No nothing special about Manilkara...it is just that we have a sapling of Manilkara with us right now and we were just wondering by how many years it is likely to bear fruit or at least grow tall, give shade.

We have noticed a few Manilkara trees near our locality that been told to have not gone beyond 4 feet in 10 years so we were wondering if it is really that kind of a slow grower.

:-)

Ushadi

Aug 17, 2018, 10:33:33 PM8/17/18
to efloraofindia
Dear Rakesh
this file is marked as complete so i can only write to you
the last writer

and it turns out you are the originator

Serendipity
i ran into this story while searching for info on my chikku tree, but got got this

It says  it took this particular Manilkara hexandra 12 years to fruit
does not mention height though.

in the meanwhile canyou tell me if your sapling survived, how tall is it
and did it flower?

this is august 2018
usha di

Rakesh Biswas

Aug 17, 2018, 10:47:29 PM8/17/18
to Ushadi micromini, indiantreepix
It is around 10 feet now. It survived a huge tin shed falling on it 5 years ago. Will try to share an image today.

best,

rakesh

Ushadi Micromini

Aug 17, 2018, 11:02:22 PM8/17/18