Requesting id

shivaprakash adavanne

Oct 13, 2010, 10:11:31 PM10/13/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
hello,
please find attached flowering plant for identification.

Photographed at Kodachadri ranges, Shimoga district, Karnataka

regards
a.shivaprakash
14102010 kod 13 asp 1.JPG

Neil Soares

Oct 13, 2010, 10:17:21 PM10/13/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, shivaprakash adavanne
Hi,
 This looks like Wild Moong [Vigna radiata].
                     Regards,
                       Neil Soares.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 29, 2010, 3:45:01 PM10/29/10
to efloraofindia, shivaprakash adavanne, Neil Soares, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Resurfacing again for ID confirmation

Earlier feedback
Neil ji......................................This looks like Wild Moong [Vigna radiata].

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Oct 29, 2010, 11:03:59 PM10/29/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, shivaprakash adavanne, Neil Soares, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
I thind It is URAD not MOONG

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Neil Soares

Oct 30, 2010, 9:08:25 AM10/30/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, shivaprakash adavanne, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Hi Dr.Balkar Singh,
  Have no idea what Urad is, but you could be right. Sending you my photographs of Wild Moong for comparison. The photographs were taken at my farm at Shahapur.
                         With regards,
                          Neil Soares.

--- On Sat, 10/30/10, Balkar Arya <balka...@gmail.com> wrote:
Vigna radiata, Wild Moong 1.jpg
Vigna radiata, Wild Moong 2.jpg
Vigna radiata, Wild Moong 3.jpg
Vigna radiata, Wild Moong 4.jpg
Vigna radiata, Wild Moong 5.jpg
Vigna radiata, Wild Moong 6.jpg
Vigna radiata, Wild Moong 7.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Oct 30, 2010, 9:27:22 AM10/30/10
to Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, shivaprakash adavanne, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
... Neil ji's plant looks very familiar to me, Vigna radiata ... the flower / fruit on erect, slender stalk.
Shivaprakash ji's plant seems different.

Regards.

Balkar Arya

Oct 30, 2010, 10:02:50 AM10/30/10
to Dinesh Valke, Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, shivaprakash adavanne, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
The plant of Neil ji is Vigna radiata

Vigna mungo is called as urad dal, udad dal, urd bean, urd.

Leaves are different in Urad i am posting Urad pics
tn_DSCN8283.JPG
tn_DSCN8284.JPG
tn_DSCN8285.JPG
tn_DSCN8286.JPG
tn_DSCN8287.JPG

Neil Soares

Oct 30, 2010, 1:34:35 PM10/30/10
to Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, shivaprakash adavanne, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Hi Dr. Balkar Singh,
   The leaves of your plant Vigna mungo looks different from those of the plant posted by Shivaprakash Adavanne.
                        Regards,
                          Neil Soares.

From: shivaprakash adavanne <adav...@gmail.com>
Date: 14 October 2010 07:41
To: indian...@googlegroups.com

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

14102010 kod 13 asp 1.JPG

navendu page

Nov 27, 2010, 12:06:57 AM11/27/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Neil Soares, shivaprakash adavanne, Balkar Arya, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar Raman
Sorry for the late reply, was out of station. I think it should be some species  Phaseolus

navendu
--
Navendu Page

PhD student
Kartik Shanker's Lab
Center for Ecological Sciences
Indian Institute of Science
Bangalore - 560012
Ph: +91 9611053510

J.M. Garg

Dec 16, 2010, 12:22:08 AM12/16/10
to efloraofindia, shivaprakash adavanne, Neil Soares, Balkar Arya, navendu page, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar Raman

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“I think it should be some species  Phaseolus

navendu”

Jan 8, 2011, 9:17:09 AM1/8/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, shivaprakash adavanne, Neil Soares, Balkar Arya, navendu page, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar Raman
The names moong and urd and the specific epithets really seem to be creating confusion. To set the record straight we are discussing here three taxa (let us forget Phaseolus because most yellow flowered species have now been shifted to Vigna):

Vigna mungo (L.) Hepper: Black gram, Urad bean, Urad, Harikot mungo, Mash; leaflets unlobed, fruits thicker, 4-5 cm long, densely covered with lighter long hairs, seeds dirty green to almost black, hilum surrounded by a raised rim (aril) (5-10 cm long)

Vigna radiata var. radiata: Golden gram, Green gram, Moog-bean; plants short, erect,  leaflets unlobed, fruits thinner, 6-9 cm long, sparsely covered with shorter brownish hairs, seed light green, longer

Vigna radiata var. sublobata: Jarusalem pea, wild moog; plants twinning, leaflets generally lobed, fruit thinner, 4-6 cm long, sparsely covered with shorter brownish hairs, seeds light green, shorter.

Neil ji's plant clearly has brownish hairs on pods and some leaflets slightly lobed: It is surely V. radiata var. sublobata, the wild moog

Balkar ji's plant with pods having thicker pods with longer lighter hairs should be V. mungo, the urad bean or black gram

Sivaprakash ji's plant  should also be V. mungo, although difficult to say without fruits.