id pl.

ushaprabha page

Sep 22, 2010, 11:51:56 PM9/22/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Flower from `Eagle nest `for id.
can it be `Physochlaina prealta`?

Ushaprabha Page.
P4220085.JPG

tanay bose

Sep 23, 2010, 9:27:08 AM9/23/10
to ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think this is Physochlaina praealta
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.
University of British Columbia .
3529-6270 University Blvd.
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
            604-822-2019 (Lab)

ushaprabha page

Sep 27, 2010, 2:39:10 AM9/27/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Dioscorea- confused due to different fruits. -pl id.
only D. bulbifera - P9190001 ided.

P9240008.JPG
P9240011.JPG
P9240014.JPG
P9240015.JPG
P9240017.JPG
P9240018.JPG
P9240019.JPG
P9190001.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Sep 27, 2010, 2:43:47 AM9/27/10
to ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dioscorea bulbifera ... commonly known as: aerial yam, air potato, air yam, bitter yam, bulbil-bearing yam, cheeky yam, malacca yam, otaheite-potato , potato yam, shoebutton air potato • Bengali: বনআলু ban alu • Hindi: गैण्ठी gainthi, कदू कन्दा kadu kanda, रतालू ratalu (apt for <i>D. purpurea</i>) • Kannada: ಅಮ್ಬಲಿ ಗೆಣಸು ambali genasu, ಹಮ್ದಿಗೆಣಸು hamdigenasu, ಹೆಗ್ಗೆನಸು heggenasu, ಕುಮ್ಟಗೆಣಸು kuntagenasu, ನೇಗಿಲುಹೊನ್ನೆ negilugonne • Konkani: करंदो karamdo • Malayalam: കാച്ചില് kaacchil, പന്നികിഴങ്ങ pannikizhangu • Marathi: डुकरकंद dukar-kand, कडूकरंदा kadu-karanda, वाराही varahi • Nepalese: गीट्ठा giitthaa, गीट्ठे तरुल giitthe tarul, वन तरुल van tarul • Oriya: pita alu • Sanskrit: आलुकः aluka, वराहीकन्द varahi-kand • Tamil: காட்டுச்சீரகவள்ளி kaatu-c-ciraka-valli, காட்டுக்காய்வள்ளி kaattu-k-kaay-valli • Telugu: అడవి దుంప adavi dumpa

Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Sep 27, 2010, 2:51:44 AM9/27/10
to ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
P9190001.JPG is clearly Dioscorea bulbifera. ... P9240014.JPG also is a familiar sight of Dioscorea bulbifera.

... however, not sure what fruits are seen in:

P9240011.JPG
P9240015.JPG
P9240017.JPG
P9240018.JPG
P9240019.JPG

ushaprabha page

Sep 27, 2010, 3:39:14 AM9/27/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Besides Hemkund and Valley of Flowers I have seen few  other species of Saussurea
at the base of `Roopkund` in Gadhaval Himalaya.,
what are other sps? id pl.
first 3- S. nepalensis?
4 th -S.gossipiphorea or graminipholia?
5 th &6th -S.obvallata.

What are the other sites where they grow? Nepal?
P9240246.JPG
P9240277.JPG
P9240281.JPG
P9250348.JPG
P9240305.JPG
P9240313.JPG

ushaprabha page

Sep 27, 2010, 3:45:50 AM9/27/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
P9240246.JPG
P9240277.JPG
P9240281.JPG
P9250348.JPG
P9240305.JPG
P9240313.JPG

tanay bose

Sep 27, 2010, 8:50:41 AM9/27/10
to Dinesh Valke, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dioscorea bulbifera indeed Dinesh Ji
Tanay

tanay bose

Sep 27, 2010, 8:55:22 AM9/27/10
to ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
P9250348.JPG= Saussurea simpsoniana
P9240305.JPG & P9240313.JPG = Saussurea obvallata

Tanay

Balkar Arya

Sep 27, 2010, 10:27:16 AM9/27/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
D bulbifera
some of my pics

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
tn_DSCF0619.JPG
tn_DSCF0620.JPG

Dr. Arvind Kadus

Sep 27, 2010, 11:02:18 AM9/27/10
to efloraofindia, ushapra...@gmail.com, tanay...@gmail.com
Madam P9240305.JPG & P9240313.JPG is it Aconitum heterophyllum
( Fruits ), in Ayurveda it is called as Ativisha. I didnt have seen
the plants, but with available pictures it may be
A. heterophyllum. ( please correct me, it may be wrong).
Dr.Kadus Arvind,Pune.
>  tn_DSCF0619.JPG
> 344KViewDownload
>
>  tn_DSCF0620.JPG
> 266KViewDownload

Balkar Arya

Sep 27, 2010, 1:47:56 PM9/27/10
to Dr. Arvind Kadus, efloraofindia, ushapra...@gmail.com, tanay...@gmail.com
I think reply in wrong thread

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 27, 2010, 2:10:46 PM9/27/10
to ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
For those who dont know. Page mam is one of the very very or only 3
members in this group who has been to Roopkund which is supposed to be
one of the toughest trek in the Himalaya. Roopkund is also called the
Lake of the Skeletons.
Hats off to her!!!
Not only that, she also found one rare orchid from there....
Epipogium.... Please do share that pic on eflora.

Other three being my boss Dr. G.S.Rawat and my other two friends Umesh
Kumar Tiwari and Ninad Raut whoa re a part of this eflora
Apologies if I missed some one from eflora!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roopkund

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

ushaprabha page

Sep 27, 2010, 9:36:41 PM9/27/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Pankaj and all,
There are so many experts ,among this group,
rather a Galaxy of it, and I am just a child in this field, learning
so many things.-(and also forgetting, due to age, many a time).

j.

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 27, 2010, 9:47:54 PM9/27/10
to ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
I know how tough it was for me to reach Hemkunt, and that too when I
was not in good health since the beginning of the trip. To reach
Roopkund is a big deal. You are an expert in your own sense and
achievements of your own. And atleast I will always appreciate that.
Many members have to learn many things from you.

Keep it up and keep posting...

Regards
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 27, 2010, 9:44:07 PM9/27/10
to ushaprabha page, Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Madam Page
Don't mention about the age, otherwise I will be the first to start forgetting the things.
I have yet to know so many new plants.
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Ushaprabha

Sep 27, 2010, 10:31:41 PM9/27/10
to efloraofindia
P9240305 and 313 is S.ovallata pl.

On Sep 27, 8:02 pm, "Dr. Arvind Kadus" <agastiayur...@yahoo.co.in>

Satish Phadke

Sep 28, 2010, 10:01:28 AM9/28/10
to Dr. Arvind Kadus, efloraofindia, ushapra...@gmail.com, tanay...@gmail.com
Arvind ji
We can't see P9240305.JPG & P9240313.JPG in the thread. I think you have replied to some other thread.
Dr Phadke

Satish Phadke

Sep 28, 2010, 9:55:41 AM9/28/10
to ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for sharing these beautiful specimens.....

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 19, 2010, 6:08:14 PM10/19/10
to efloraofindia, ushaprabha page, TANAY BOSE, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Resurfacing again for ID confirmation.

Earlier feedback

Tanay.........................................................I think this is Physochlaina praealta

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, ushaprabha page, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Tabish

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“P9250348.JPG= Saussurea simpsoniana

P9240305.JPG & P9240313.JPG = Saussurea obvallata

Tanay”

Nov 7, 2010, 7:49:00 AM11/7/10
to efloraofindia, ushaprabha page, tanay bose, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, navendu page, Dr. M. K. Pathak, Tabish, Gurcharan Singh