Flower ID help

Vijay Anand Ismavel

Apr 19, 2011, 8:45:44 AM4/19/11
to Indian Treepix
Unidentified wildflower

Location: Makunda Christian Hospital campus, Karimganj District, Assam

Date: 2nd October 2010

Equipment: Nikon D300s with Nikkor AF 70-300mm VR lens
Makunda Flowers-36B.jpg

Vijay Anand Ismavel

Apr 19, 2011, 8:47:14 AM4/19/11
to Indian Treepix
Unidentified wild ?waterlilies

Location: Makunda Christian Hospital campus, Karimganj District, Assam

Date: 3rd October 2010
Makunda Flowers-37A.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Apr 19, 2011, 8:54:18 AM4/19/11
to Vijay Anand Ismavel, Indian Treepix
... this looks like Desmodium heterocarpon ... not sure if it is a different species in north-east.
Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Apr 19, 2011, 8:59:31 AM4/19/11
to Vijay Anand Ismavel, Indian Treepix
... this plant (Makunda Flowers-37A.jpg) must be Nymphoides indicum.
Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Apr 19, 2011, 9:23:47 AM4/19/11
to efloraofindia
... forwarding Vijay ji's response to my guess of Desmodium heterocarpon for Makunda Flowers-36B.jpg

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The flower (?inflorescence) is about 2 feet tall. I found it on the side of a jungle path along the side of a hillock (about 40 m tall).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vijay ji ... looks like your plant may be far from my guess of Desmodium heterocarpon.
Let us wait for comments.

Regards.
Dinesh

The flower (?inflorescence) is about 2 feet tall. I found it on the side of a jungle path along the side of a hillock (about 40 m tall).

Regards,

Vijay

Nidhan Singh

Apr 19, 2011, 12:34:23 PM4/19/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Hi,
The first pic appears to be that of Uraria picta.
Regards,

--
Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany

Vijayasankar

Apr 19, 2011, 12:45:19 PM4/19/11
to Nidhan Singh, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
How about Uraria crinita? (http://www.hkwildlife.net/viewthread.php?tid=3034).
B'cos I am sure its not U. picta, which has linear, painted leaflets and narrower raceme.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Nidhan Singh

Apr 19, 2011, 12:54:44 PM4/19/11
to Vijayasankar, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Vijayasankar ji,
May be you are right. As the leaves are not clearly visible in the
first picture, Vijay Anand ji might be able to tell the actual
situation. I also go with your id.
Regards,

J.M. Garg

Aug 7, 2011, 11:51:37 AM8/7/11
to efloraofindia, Vijay Anand Ismavel, rites...@gmail.com, dr_m...@yahoo.com, tab...@gmail.com, dasr...@gmail.com, snmurt...@gmail.com, ghosh...@gmail.com, prana...@gmail.com, Vijayasankar Raman, Nidhan Singh

Some earlier relevant feedback:

How about Uraria crinita? (http://www.hkwildlife.net/viewthread.php?tid=3034).

B'cos I am sure its not U. picta, which has linear, painted leaflets and narrower raceme.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman”

“Vijayasankar ji,

May be you are right. As the leaves are not clearly visible in the
first picture, Vijay Anand ji might be able to tell the actual

situation. I also go with your id.” from Nidhan Singh ji.

Aug 7, 2011, 10:26:34 PM8/7/11
to Vijay Anand Ismavel, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg, dr_m...@yahoo.com, tab...@gmail.com, dasr...@gmail.com, snmurt...@gmail.com, ghosh...@gmail.com, prana...@gmail.com, Vijayasankar Raman, Nidhan Singh
Dear Vijay Anand Ji,

I think Vijayshankar Ji is right. Attaching herewith a paper for your reference.

Regards,
Ritesh.

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Vijay Anand Ismavel <ivija...@yahoo.in> wrote:
I am no botanist ! However, please find enclosed a picture showing the leaves of the plant. Please let me know the species - Vijay

--- On Sun, 7/8/11, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Ph.D.
International Biological Material Research Center

+82-42-879-8342 (O)
http://www.kribb.re.kr

"It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure." -- Albert Einstein

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Aug 7, 2011, 10:29:41 PM8/7/11
to Vijay Anand Ismavel, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg, dr_m...@yahoo.com, tab...@gmail.com, dasr...@gmail.com, snmurt...@gmail.com, ghosh...@gmail.com, prana...@gmail.com, Vijayasankar Raman, Nidhan Singh
wondering why the attachment failed..!!

Regards,
Ritesh.
uraria.pdf

Vijay Anand Ismavel

Aug 7, 2011, 11:09:06 PM8/7/11
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg, dr_m...@yahoo.com, tab...@gmail.com, dasr...@gmail.com, snmurt...@gmail.com, ghosh...@gmail.com, prana...@gmail.com, Vijayasankar Raman, Nidhan Singh
Thanks to all of you for enlightening me. I will relabel this picture as Uraria crinita. It had earlier been identified as Desmodium heterocarpon. It is a pleasure to get information from experts.

With regards,

Vijay

Aug 7, 2011, 9:34:08 PM8/7/11
to efloraofindia, J.M. Garg, rites...@gmail.com, dr_m...@yahoo.com, tab...@gmail.com, dasr...@gmail.com, snmurt...@gmail.com, ghosh...@gmail.com, prana...@gmail.com, Vijayasankar Raman, Nidhan Singh