efloraindia: 220911 BRS 40

Rathinasabapathy Bhuvaragasamy

Sep 22, 2011, 12:56:37 AM9/22/11
to efloraofindia
Pl. find the attached file contain photo for id.

Date/Time-Location- July 2011, Thadagm Road side.
Place, Altitude, GPS- Anaikatti, Coimbatore Dist.
Habitat- Urban
Type-Plant Habit-  Climber
Flowers Size/ Colour- pink.

Thanks

B. Rathinasabapathy
IMG_0443.JPG

Balkar Arya

Sep 22, 2011, 1:10:44 AM9/22/11
to Rathinasabapathy Bhuvaragasamy, efloraofindia
I think Antigonon leptopus
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Tanay Bose

Sep 22, 2011, 1:17:42 AM9/22/11
to Balkar Arya, Rathinasabapathy Bhuvaragasamy, efloraofindia
Yes Antigonon leptopus from Polygonaceae
the plant is known to have caducous ochreate stipule
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pinki

Sep 22, 2011, 2:32:11 AM9/22/11
to efloraofindia
Antigonon leptopus from Polygonaceae....

Alok

On Sep 21, 9:56 pm, Rathinasabapathy Bhuvaragasamy
>  IMG_0443.JPG
> 256KViewDownload

Madhuri Raut

Sep 22, 2011, 2:33:26 AM9/22/11
to Pinki, efloraofindia
Does anyone know its Marathi name?
regards
Bhagyashri

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 22, 2011, 2:39:35 AM9/22/11
to Madhuri Raut, Pinki, efloraofindia
Difficult to have local names as it is an introduced ornamental, unless some one has coined some local name.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

hari lal

Sep 22, 2011, 2:45:03 AM9/22/11
to Madhuri Raut, Pinki, efloraofindia
Dear bhagyashri jee
Sonchampa, Pivla champa, Kud champa in marathi

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Madhuri Raut <iti...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
HARI SHANKAR LAL
AT-SHIV KUTIR

Madhuri Raut

Sep 22, 2011, 2:58:09 AM9/22/11
to hari lal, Pinki, efloraofindia
Thank you Sirji
Thank you Harilalji for trying to help with the Marathi name but I think these names are of Chapha flowers Michelia champaca of Magnoliaceae
Regards
Bhagyashri

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 22, 2011, 4:39:29 AM9/22/11
to Madhuri Raut, hari lal, Pinki, efloraofindia
Yes I don't think the names suggested by Hari ji should fit this planjt

Son champa is Mar. name for Michelia acuminata
Pivala champa and kud champa  are Mar. name for Michelia champaca, also pilo champo and rae champo in Guj.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ushadi micromini

Sep 22, 2011, 2:20:46 PM9/22/11
to efloraofindia
Gurcharanji is absolutely right....
I was wondering how to correct Mr. Lal without sounding trite...
Gurcharanj i did it very nicely. Thanks.

Champa is a name reserved for usually fragrant flowers in any Indian
vernacular...

Where as, this (Antigonon) is 1cm or less small NON_FRAGRANT
flower... on a vine...
its called coral vine in English...
native of mexico was brought in to India / Bengal during the same
time as when the original botanical garden was started in Calcutta...
via Bermuda and /or Jamaica... where its tea is drunk as original
NSAID . and underground tubers were eaten in times of famine...

I have not found a traditional name here, although I must say we in
Bengal are very fond and efficient at adapting a plant/ flower we
like and giving it romantic name/s... such as Krishnachura for another
import of recent century... Delonix regia..

Usha di