Request for ID : 161210-AK-1

Aarti S. Khale

Dec 16, 2010, 11:11:18 AM12/16/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
A tree with white flowers having very mild fragrance at Colombo,Sri Lanka.
Second picture is of the fruits.
I had seen similar ones during boat ride at the backwaters at
Alleppy,Kerala in October,2008
Aarti
P1110367.JPG
P1110381.JPG

shrikant ingalhalikar

Dec 16, 2010, 11:30:23 AM12/16/10
to efloraofindia
This is a mangrove associate tree of Cerbera sp. may be C.manghas of
Apocynaceae. Regards, Shrikant
>  P1110367.JPG
> 134KViewDownload
>
>  P1110381.JPG
> 113KViewDownload

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 16, 2010, 11:35:46 AM12/16/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Cerbera odollam?
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

tanay bose

Dec 16, 2010, 11:50:56 AM12/16/10
to Pankaj Kumar, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
I think Pankaj ji is correct this is Cerbera odollam commonly known as suicide tree
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Aarti S. Khale

Dec 16, 2010, 11:33:46 PM12/16/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Shrikant ji, Pankaj ji and Tanay,
Thanks a lot for the id.
Regards,
Aarti

On Dec 16, 8:50 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think Pankaj ji is correct this is Cerbera odollam commonly known
> as suicide tree
> Tanay
>
> *Tanay Bose*
> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> Department of Botany.
> University of British Columbia .
> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
>             604-822-2019 (Lab)
> ta...@interchange.ubc.ca- Hide quoted text -

J.M. Garg

Jan 18, 2011, 7:34:04 AM1/18/11
to efloraofindia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Aarti S. Khale, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, tanay bose

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“This is a mangrove associate tree of Cerbera sp. may be C.manghas of
Apocynaceae. Regards, Shrikant”

Cerbera odollam?
Pankaj”

“I think Pankaj ji is correct this is Cerbera odollam commonly known as suicide tree
Tanay”

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix or https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (more than 1500 members & 60,000 messages on 15/1/11 & with a database of around 4450 species on 15/12/10)

P1110367.JPG
P1110381.JPG

ajinkya gadave

Jan 18, 2011, 8:07:40 AM1/18/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Aarti S. Khale, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, tanay bose
Cerbera odollam
Family: Apocynaceae
Chiute, Chatthankai, Grey Milkwood, Sea Mango, Pong Pong Tree
Origin: Southern Asia
Cerbera odollam dry fruits.jpg
Cerbera odollam.jpg

Aarti S. Khale

Jan 18, 2011, 9:14:08 AM1/18/11
to ajinkya gadave, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ajinkya ji for the detail information.
Regards,
Aarti