Euphorbiaceae Week: Euphorbia helioscopia from Kashmir

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 8, 2011, 7:00:52 AM3/8/11
to efloraofindia
Euphorbia helioscopia a very common week in Kashmir along road sides, wastelands and borders of fields Details have been provided in the mail about Delhi plant

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Euphorbia-helioscopia-Kashmir-a.jpg
Euphorbia-helioscopia-Kashmir-b.jpg

Rashida Atthar

Mar 10, 2011, 8:14:56 AM3/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you for the pictures Sir. Thought these scanned attachments of the floral morphology will interest many. I was quite fascinated with the detailed descriptions when I was going through it. Your pictures are  also just right to understand and compare these diagrams with. Ref: 'Common Families of Flowering Plant' by Hickey and King.

regards,
Rashida.
Euphorbia helioscopia L..jpg
Euphorbia helioscopia L. morphology diagrams.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 10, 2011, 9:15:45 AM3/10/11
to Rashida Atthar, efloraofindia
Thanks for additional information Rashida ji

The photograph I have uploaded shows yellow rust infection along tips of leaves This generally turns severe in autumn. Ask Tanay for the species of the rust.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Rashida Atthar

Mar 10, 2011, 9:19:36 AM3/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Yes Sir it is visible in some of the tips, Tanay's diagnosis of the same needed !

regards,
Rashida.
.

tanay bose

Mar 10, 2011, 11:29:36 AM3/10/11
to Rashida Atthar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Hi Sir Ji and Rashida Ji,

Probably the fungi is Melampsora euphorbiae, this rust fungi is know to have a
considerable host range. As the name suggests, it is a pathogen for Euphorbia sp only.
For more information kindly go though the link below ..

Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Rashida Atthar

Mar 11, 2011, 2:00:03 AM3/11/11
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia

Thanks a lot Tanay for this important information and link to the details.  Such a large and interesting family had to have a pathogen!!

regards,
Rashida.

tanay bose

Mar 11, 2011, 7:32:33 AM3/11/11
to Rashida Atthar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Exactly there are several pathogens which are known to cause disease in Euphorbiaceae
tanay

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 11, 2011, 8:28:07 AM3/11/11
to tanay bose, Rashida Atthar, efloraofindia
Tanay how about Uromyces tuberculatus, it is reported from Euphorbia helioscopia. I remember the name of Uromyces associated with Euphorbia helioscopia when I was in Kashmir. This weed is abundant Kashmir University campus, and turns wholly yellow with yellow rust in autumn.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Mar 11, 2011, 9:18:09 AM3/11/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Rashida Atthar, efloraofindia
Possibility is there Sir Ji but I have only speculated the name without microscopic investigation
I cant confirm on any names
Tanay