Request Species id 21032011 DKV-1

Dev Kumar

Mar 21, 2011, 1:24:02 AM3/21/11
to indiantreepix
request species id please
clicked in Mhow, Dist Indore, MP
DSC00605.JPG

tanay bose

Mar 21, 2011, 1:48:09 AM3/21/11
to Dev Kumar, indiantreepix
Argemone mexicana (Mexican Poppy) from the family Papavaraceae
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 21, 2011, 6:12:30 AM3/21/11
to tanay bose, Dev Kumar, indiantreepix
Yes Tanay, a very common spring weed in Delhi also.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Na Bha

Mar 21, 2011, 6:58:32 AM3/21/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Dev Kumar, indiantreepix
I remember to have seen these flowers in plenty in my childhood in Pune. We used to call it Pivla Dhotra    पिवळा धोतरा
Regards
Nalini

Mahadeswara

Mar 21, 2011, 10:18:23 AM3/21/11
to efloraofindia
Very common weed in Mysore. Yesterday I took a photograph of this
weed near my house and thought of uploading it. What a coincidence.

On Mar 21, 10:24 am, Dev Kumar <dev.kumar.vasude...@gmail.com> wrote:
> request species id please
> clicked in Mhow, Dist Indore, MP
>
>  DSC00605.JPG
> 86KViewDownload

Dev Kumar

Mar 21, 2011, 11:57:02 AM3/21/11
to Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, indiantreepix
Many thanks to all of you.
The relevant page on flowers of india dot net is very informative:
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Mexican%20Prickly%20Poppy.html

and so is the wikipedia page esp with regards to mustard oil becoming toxic on adulteration with just 1% oil of mexican poppy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argemone_mexicana

Regards
Dev