Sonchus id kalatope al150311

Alok Mahendroo

Mar 15, 2011, 12:18:45 PM3/15/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,
This could be belonging to Thistle family... but which one
What is the difference between Sonchus asper and S. arvensis?

Location Kalatope, Chamba district
Altitude 2100 mt
Habitat wild
Habit herb
Season March

Regards
Alok
--
Himalayan Village Education Trust
Village Khudgot,

--
Himalayan Village Education Trust
Village Khudgot,
P.O. Dalhousie
District Chamba
H.P. 176304, India
www.hive.interconnection.org
www.hivetrust.wordpress.com
www.forwildlife.wordpress.com

DSCN5781.jpg
DSCN5782.jpg
DSCN5747.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 15, 2011, 12:35:44 PM3/15/11
to Alok Mahendroo, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sonchus asper

Plants perennial, up to 2 m  tall, leaves mostly entire or denticulate,  not spiny margined, heads 3-5 cm across.......S. arvensis
Plant annual, up to 1.5 m tall; leaves pinnately divided, margins spinulose, heads 1.5-2.5 cm across.......................S. asper

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Mar 15, 2011, 2:27:12 PM3/15/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Alok Mahendroo, indian...@googlegroups.com
Looks like Sonchus asper but I cant confirm with a good view of the leaf
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Alok Mahendroo

Apr 18, 2011, 4:12:19 AM4/18/11
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tanay ji and Gurcharan ji,
Sending the leaf view of this one too...
regards
Alok
DSCN7525.jpg
DSCN7527.jpg
DSCN7529.jpg
DSCN7530.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 18, 2011, 5:14:37 AM4/18/11
to Alok Mahendroo, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sochus asper, but one of those doubtful cases, after seeing your typical S. asper in another thread.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Alok Mahendroo

Apr 18, 2011, 12:05:15 PM4/18/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,
Do we find any other varieties apart from S. asper and S. arvensis in
India?
regards
Alok

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 18, 2011, 9:57:38 PM4/18/11
to Alok Mahendroo, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
S. oleraceous is the commonest of all

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Alok Mahendroo

Apr 19, 2011, 1:15:06 AM4/19/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir, cpuld this be the S. oleraceous.. I am sending a photo of the
comparison of the two leaf bases.. the pointed one should be S.
oleraceous according to
http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/mbierner/bio406d/images/pics/ast/sonchus_oleraceus.htm

regards
Alok

DSCN7573.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 19, 2011, 4:39:46 AM4/19/11
to Alok Mahendroo, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
My exerience of S. asper and S. oleraceous leads me to think that there is lot of intermixing. A plant which looks like S. oleraceous with no spines and straight auricles tends to have spines and some rounded auricles when mature. There are only two photographs (one mine from Delhi and One yours) which I have been able to confirm S. asper hundred per cent.