Solanaceae Week: Withania somnifera from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 8, 2011, 1:12:59 AM4/8/11
to efloraofindia

Withania somnifera (L.) Dunal, A. L. P. P. de Candolle, Prodr. 13(1):453. 1852

syn: Physalis somnifera L.

A common weed in Delhi at waste places and roadsides, Photographed from Delhi

Common names: winter-cherry, ashwagandha

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Withania-somnifera-Delhi-1.jpg
Withania-somnifera-Delhi-2.jpg
Withania-somnifera-Delhi-3.jpg
Withania-somnifera-Delhi-4.jpg

mani nair

Apr 8, 2011, 3:27:50 AM4/8/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
The leaves of this plant is crushed and if eaten for seven days - good for obese people for reducing weight.  If you want to increase weight then the powder from the root should be taken.

Regards,

Mani.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 8, 2011, 3:45:28 AM4/8/11
to mani nair, efloraofindia
Nice information Mani ji. What did you use, leaves or root? Just joking

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Apr 8, 2011, 9:29:01 AM4/8/11
to Gurcharan Singh, mani nair, efloraofindia
Aswagangha !!
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

mani nair

Apr 8, 2011, 9:47:33 AM4/8/11
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji, there was a time I used to worry as how to increase my weight.  But now it is okay and sometimes I think I should use the root only !!

Regards,

Mani.

Inderjeet Sethi

Apr 16, 2011, 1:11:43 AM4/16/11
to mani nair, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Baba Ramdev has popularized this plant. Everybody in my family is asking me for a sapling of Aswagangha.
--
~ik~
Dr.Inderjeet Kaur Sethi