Malvaceae week 0905- 9112011 UD 016 Hibiscus Yellow Weird unfurling WHY AND WHAT FOR ???

ushadi Micromini

Sep 8, 2011, 5:25:58 AM9/8/11
to efloraofindia
Malvaceae week 0905- 9112011 UD 016  Hibiscus Yellow Weird unfurling WHY AND WHAT FOR ???

Dear All:

Familiy:            Malvaceae

Subfamiliy:           Malvoideae

Tribe:                       Hibisceae

Genus:                        Hibiscus

Species                           Hibiscus rosa chinensis, YELLOW

I am sending this in to ask  what is this weird set of petals in this otherwise "normal five petalled hibiscus I bought.. about 3-4 weeks into being on  my balcony this flower appeared...   only one of this weird kind ... have had five or six similar ones since then... all were like the normal first flower.... picture  is included of the first normal one...

Any ideas???  Any thing I can do to further examine this phenomenon?   Is it common?

etc etc... have many questions...

Thanks

Usha di
=======

Hibiscus rosa sinensis 1 DSC03729 weird unfurling sm.jpg
Hibiscus rosa sinensis 2 DSC03730 weird unfurling sm.jpg
Hibiscus rosa sinensis 3 DSC03745 weird unfurling sm.jpg
Hibiscus rosa sinensis 4 DSC03746 weird unfurling sm.jpg
Hibiscus rosa sinensis 5 DSC03748 weird unfurling sm.jpg
Hibiscus rosa sinensis 6 DSC02466 NORMAL when it came home sm crp.jpg

Tanay Bose

Sep 8, 2011, 9:57:13 AM9/8/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Petaloid staminal tube can be a simply an anomaly
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Balkar Arya

Sep 8, 2011, 9:57:23 AM9/8/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Very good brightly colored Ushadi Ji i think u have Hundreds of cultivars if Hibiscus. U have made Malvaceae Week Much colorful. Thanks
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

ushadi Micromini

Sep 8, 2011, 10:32:02 AM9/8/11
to Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
Thank you.... now to unusual things..... if I can only type and organise fast enough....
usha di
===

ushadi Micromini

Sep 8, 2011, 10:39:39 AM9/8/11
to Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
Tanay: nice to know the nomenclature... Petaloid staminal tube-- very apt...

Has such anomalies been been written about?  what could cause it?  or are these hybrids vulnerable to such anatomical changes... most of these hybrids of tropicals are coming from Thailand... do you think may they have inserted some mutable genes that only occasionally express themselves...

If you know of a book or paper please send me the ref... thanks

something similar happened to one of my euphorbia milli.... I'll upload the pic if I can find it...
Usha di

Tanay Bose

Sep 8, 2011, 12:53:40 PM9/8/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Hi Ushadi Ji.
I am not completely aware of the perfect resason for the anomaly.
I dont think its due to an insertion of mutational gene by the horti-
culturalists, because they wont make so much efforts for a simple
garden plant. It may be due to simple chromosomal or physiological
abnormality. I am attaching a very olf paper from 1947 which deals
with similar kinds of abnormality in Hibiscus esculentus (lady's
finger). Hope you will enjoy reading it.
Venkataramani 1947.pdf

ushadi Micromini

Sep 8, 2011, 1:11:01 PM9/8/11
to Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
Thanks Tanay it will be useful... also somewhere I had seen and I most likely have it ... old book about botanical monsters!! I'll dig it oot... and share it if its any good..
Usha di
==

Tanay Bose

Sep 8, 2011, 1:12:22 PM9/8/11