grass week :: NON-NATIVE, GARDEN :: Poaceae » Pennisetum setaceum

Dinesh Valke

Dec 9, 2010, 1:24:24 AM12/9/10
to efloraofindia
Poaceae (formerly and a.k.a. Gramineae) » Pennisetum setaceum

pen-ih-SEE-tum -- referring to a feather
se-TAY-see-um -- bristly

commonly known as: African fountain grass, fountain grass, purple fountain grass, tender fountain grass

Native to: north Africa; cultivated elsewhere as ornamental

sightings are from between JAN 07 and NOV 08
in large residential complexes with landscaped gardens in Thane.
3052976682_87af6d03f3_b.jpg
357067285_7672a90a01_b.jpg
357071055_516d0a884e_b.jpg
405627779_51b95fe0db_b.jpg
3052140795_efa9943b94_b.jpg
3052146417_e7079bcef2_b.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 9, 2010, 1:33:21 AM12/9/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
I had uploaded this species from California hoping that it may also be cultivated in India. I am relieved to find your mail.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Dec 9, 2010, 5:31:00 AM12/9/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji, this species is a very popular ornamental in gardens and landscaped residential complexes of Thane and Mumbai.

Regards.

nabha meghani

Dec 9, 2010, 7:11:14 AM12/9/10
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Yes, it is also very popular ornamental in gardens in Germany too.  My book says it is deciduous. Can't confirm as it dosen't survive the winters here.
Also called lampenputzer-gras "Lampcleaner brush" in german because of its form.
Nalini

tanay bose

Dec 9, 2010, 9:54:37 AM12/9/10
to nabha meghani, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
yes this plant is wildly found in india and used as garden decor in north america
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.