Id this thistle

Dilip Pandit

Dec 2, 2010, 11:52:40 PM12/2/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
The picture of Yellow-bellied greenfinch sitting on a flower. Which flower could this be. At Tawang. Thanks in advance.

DS Pandit
YBGF For web.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 16, 2010, 7:03:59 PM12/16/10
to Dilip Pandit, efloraofindia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, TANAY BOSE
Resurfacing again for ID

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Mahadeswara

Dec 16, 2010, 10:14:34 PM12/16/10
to efloraofindia
Some Sanchus sps?

On Dec 17, 5:03 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Resurfacing again for ID
>
> *--
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
> *

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 16, 2010, 10:31:15 PM12/16/10
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Not Sonchus, could be some Cirsium

--

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Madhuri Pejaver

Dec 17, 2010, 2:47:48 AM12/17/10
to Dilip Pandit, efloraofindia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, TANAY BOSE, Gurcharan Singh, Adesh Shivkar
Is it young one of Golden Oriol?
Madhuri

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 17, 2010, 4:42:50 AM12/17/10
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Some Cirsium with a Yellow Breasted Geenfinch.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 17, 2010, 3:58:01 PM12/17/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Pankaj ji, it is great that you are such an expert on orchids, know Himalayan plants so well, know much about plants from other parts of India as compared to many of us (at least me) and to top it all you know a lot about birds also.

--

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 17, 2010, 4:13:46 PM12/17/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot for your good words sir.
But, I cant compare myself with you and your experience and expertise.
I wish to learn more and more. But I know many times my identification
has been proved wrong too :), but I learn...
I never knew about anything other than plants but when I came here to
WII, met so many people from other background, I got interested in
birds, amphibians and snakes. Among birds I am very much fond of
parrots and parakeets.
Thanks again for your compliments.
Regards
Pankaj