ZINGIBERACEAE: Curcuma euchroma Valeton

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 17, 2011, 8:54:03 AM9/17/11
to indiantreepix
Curcuma euchroma Valeton, Bull. Jard. Bot. Buitenzorg, II, 27: 42 (1918).

Synonyms:
Amomum zerumbet J.König in A.J.Retzius, Observ. Bot. 3: 55 (1783), nom. illeg.
Erndlia subpersonata Giseke, Prael. Ord. Nat. Pl.: 252 (1792).
Curcuma zerumbet Roxb., Asiat. Res. 11: 332 (1810).
Curcuma officinalis Salisb., Trans. Hort. Soc. London 1: 285 (1812).

Family: ZINGIBERACEAE
Current Location: KFBG, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong (from gardens)

Regards
Pankaj
"Taxonomists getting Extinct and Species Data Deficient !!"

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Conservation Officer
Flora Conservation Department
Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation
Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong

email: pku...@kbfg.org
         sahani...@gmail.com
         pankaj...@rediffmail.com
Phone: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:30pm)
           +852 5431 6094 (mobile)

Slide47.JPG
Slide48.JPG
Slide49.JPG
Slide50.JPG

raju das

Sep 17, 2011, 11:21:27 AM9/17/11
to dasr...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
Dear Sir,
Thanks for showing such a beautiful Curcuma from Hong Kong. I have attached my photographs .......from Indo-Bhutan border area. I need your help to validate the ID

Regards,
Raju Das

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 8:41 PM, raju <dasr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Phone: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:30pm)
           +852 5431 6094 (mobile)

 Slide47.JPG
221KViewDownload

 Slide48.JPG
144KViewDownload

 Slide49.JPG
277KViewDownload

 Slide50.JPG
398KViewDownload

--
Raju Das
Nature's Foster

IMGA0143.jpg
IMGA0145.jpg

Pudji Widodo

Sep 17, 2011, 12:01:42 PM9/17/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Dr Pankaj Ji,

Thank you for uploading our plant from Java that has been planted in
Hong Kong.

Regards,
Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Sep 17, 2011, 12:22:44 PM9/17/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot for the appreciations.
Regards
Pankaj

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 17, 2011, 3:16:06 PM9/17/11
to raju das, indiantreepix
I remembered the nest of harvester ants. Very nice.
My questions
Does the infloresence appear green when young and red when old?
Dont the flowers give appearence of orchid flower?
Madhuri

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Sep 17, 2011, 9:09:31 PM9/17/11
to efloraofindia
The inflorescence is green when young and then turns to red gradually.
If you press the round thing, it oozes out the fragrant nectar and
water.
Pankaj

On Sep 18, 3:16 am, Madhuri Pejaver <formpeja...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I remembered the nest of harvester ants. Very nice.
> My questions
> Does the infloresence appear green when young and red when old?
> Dont the flowers give appearence of orchid flower?
> Madhuri

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 18, 2011, 2:44:25 AM9/18/11
to efloraofindia, Dr Pankaj Kumar
Great' But still one more q remained unanswered. Dont the flowers look more like Orchid flowers?
Madhuri

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 18, 2011, 4:44:41 AM9/18/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia
Yes Curcuma does look like a bit of Orchid because of the rostellum
like structure. But there is no pollinia in Curcuma, there are proper
anthers.
Pankaj

email: pku...@kbfg.org
         sahani...@gmail.com
         pankaj...@rediffmail.com

Phone: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:30pm)

           +852 5431 6094; +852 9436 6251 (mobile)

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 18, 2011, 5:00:58 AM9/18/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
ok. will disect the flower of curcuma next time.
Thanks
Madhuri

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 18, 2011, 5:09:08 AM9/18/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia
Check this illustration. It will help you in making plates.
Pankaj
Curcuma roscoeana.jpg

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 18, 2011, 5:19:29 AM9/18/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Ok. thanks.
In the series of evolution are Orchid near any where of Curcuma?
I dont know being non botanist. But appearence is very close.

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 18, 2011, 5:28:33 AM9/18/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia
Actually it is more close to Asparagaceae according to recent
findings. I hope you know that Liliaceae is now in another group
Liliales and Amaryllidaceae in Asparagales.
Its complicated but in simple words, Orchidaceae is more close to
Asparagaceae and Amaryllidaceae and Zingiberaceae is more close to
Commelinaceae. and both are in two different groups (scientifically
speaking Orders).
Pankaj

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 18, 2011, 5:33:15 AM9/18/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum!
Families with examples i knew. but not the merger. S o when we go for these families will get further surprises.
ok Thanks for patience to answer me

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 18, 2011, 5:34:27 AM9/18/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia
Orchids and Orchidilogists are full of surprises.
But I think this will stay.
Best wishes.
Pankaj

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Sep 19, 2011, 8:58:19 PM9/19/11
to efloraofindia
Zingiber zerumbet (L.) Roscoe ex Sm., Exot. Bot. 2: 105 (1806).

Synonyms:
Amomum zerumbet L., Sp. Pl.: 1 (1753).
Zingiber sylvestre Garsault, Fig. Pl. Méd.: t. 34b (1764), opus utique
oppr.
Amomum sylvestre Lam., Encycl. 1: 134 (1783), nom. superfl.
Zerumbet zingiber T.Lestib., Ann. Sci. Nat., Bot., II, 15: 329 (1841).

I am extremely sorry. I got confused. This plant is Zingiber zerumbet
distributed in Tropical and Subtropical Asia.
Regards
Pankaj

On Sep 18, 5:34 pm, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Orchids and Orchidilogists are full of surprises.
> But I think this will stay.
> Best wishes.
> Pankaj
>

> On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Madhuri Pejaver <formpeja...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum!
> > Families with examples i knew. but not the merger. S o  when we go for these families will get further surprises.
> > ok Thanks for patience to answer me
> > Madhuri

Prabhu kumar KM

Sep 19, 2011, 11:46:24 PM9/19/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia

Dear all,
It si not coming under the genus Curcuma. It is Zingiber zerumbet commonly known as 'Shampoo ginger'

--
Prabhu Kumar K M
Scientist

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Sep 19, 2011, 11:51:25 PM9/19/11
to efloraofindia

> read more »

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 19, 2011, 11:52:38 PM9/19/11
to Prabhu kumar KM, Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia
Sorry sir, But I had changed the subject already and written an
apology for the mistake too.
Regards
Pankaj

"Taxonomists getting Extinct and Species Data Deficient !!"

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Conservation Officer
Flora Conservation Department
Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation
Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong

email: pku...@kbfg.org
         sahani...@gmail.com
         pankaj...@rediffmail.com

Phone: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:30pm)

           +852 9436 6251; +852 5431 6094  (mobile)

Pudji Widodo

Sep 21, 2011, 4:07:26 AM9/21/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Friends,

I just would like to point out the differences between Curcuma and
Zingiber IN TERMS OF LEAVES based on Backer & Bakhuizen (1963) Flora
of Java.

Curcuma: leaves less than ten, distichous, lower one sheathing,
penninerved, petiole proper well developed, shorter than leaf sheath
belonging to it.

Zingiber: leaves numerous, distichous, the lower one reduced and
sheath like, pinnately nerved, petiole very short or absent.

Best Wishes,
Pudji Widodo
Faculty of Biology Jenderal Soedirman University
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

Ushadi micromini

Sep 24, 2011, 3:50:28 AM9/24/11
to efloraofindia