22042011GS1 Cyperus from Morni for ID

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 22, 2011, 11:58:56 AM4/22/11
to efloraofindia
22042011GS1 Cyperus from Morni for ID, growing on wet soil around Tikkar Tal Lake, Morni, photographed on April 10, 2011

Small herb, less than 12 cm tall, spikes several, about 12-15 mm long, strongly flattened, green, whitish in middle.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Cyperus-1-Tikkar tal lake-Morni-1.jpg
Cyperus-1-Tikkar tal lake-Morni-2.jpg

sheetal chaudhari

Apr 22, 2011, 10:42:06 PM4/22/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
It looks so cute... Mini Cyperus

Sheetal Pachpande

Vijayasankar

Apr 22, 2011, 10:56:01 PM4/22/11
to sheetal....@gmail.com, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
This may be a Pycreus species. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pycreus.jpg

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

tanay bose

Apr 22, 2011, 10:59:10 PM4/22/11
to Vijayasankar, sheetal....@gmail.com, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
I think you are correct Vijaya Ji
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 22, 2011, 11:51:00 PM4/22/11
to tanay bose, Vijayasankar, sheetal....@gmail.com, efloraofindia

How about Cyperus michelianus subsp. pygmaeus (Rottb.) Asch. & Graebn. (syn: Cyperus pygmaeus Rottb.)

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

H S

Apr 30, 2011, 7:33:25 AM4/30/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Vijayasankar, sheetal....@gmail.com, efloraofindia

It is Juncellus pygmaeus
rest is synonyms

--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 30, 2011, 8:31:06 AM4/30/11
to H S, itp...@googlegroups.com, tanay bose, Vijayasankar, sheetal....@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Dear H S
I think this should satisfy you

Kew Plant List is published very recently in 2010 and whole World will follow it as standard database for resolved taxa. I find no reason why we should not follow it.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Apr 30, 2011, 9:44:17 AM4/30/11
to itp...@googlegroups.com, H S, tanay bose, Vijayasankar, sheetal....@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Dear Mr. H.S.
Again I agree here with Dr. Gurcharan.
The plant here is Cyperus michelianus subsp. pygmaeus (Rottb.) Asch. &
Graebn. as stated by him.
For your information, in present date, genus Juncellus has been merged
back into Cyperus and is considered as one of the subgenus.

Reference
Govaerts, R. (2004). World Checklist of Monocotyledons Database in
ACCESS: 1-54382. The Board of Trustees of the Royal Botanic Gardens,
Kew. [as Cyperus]
Govaerts, R. & Simpson, D.A. (2007). World Checklist of Cyperaceae.
Sedges: 1-765. The Board of Trustees of the Royal Botanic Gardens,
Kew. [as Cyperus]

Hope this helps.
Pankaj

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear H S
> I think this should satisfy you
> http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-237531
> Kew Plant List is published very recently in 2010 and whole World will
> follow it as standard database for resolved taxa. I find no reason why we
> should not follow it.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>

> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 5:03 PM, H S <hems...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It is Juncellus pygmaeus
>> rest is synonyms
>>

>> --
>>  - H.S.
>> A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of
>> stone
>>

> --

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate