ID request-21102010-PKA3

Prashant awale

Oct 21, 2010, 11:27:53 AM10/21/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
This is a tree from Manali.

Date/Time: 25-09-2010 / 05:25PM
Location: Manali
Plant Habit:  Tree

regards
Prashant
IMG_1087.jpg
IMG_1088cr1.jpg
IMG_1087cr1.jpg
IMG_1088.jpg

Vijayasankar

Oct 21, 2010, 12:07:30 PM10/21/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Looks like Hedera helix, a climber.

Regards

Vijayasankar

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 21, 2010, 12:18:28 PM10/21/10
to Vijayasankar, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Hedera nepalensis

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 21, 2010, 12:19:29 PM10/21/10
to Vijayasankar, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Prashant ji
This should be a climber on a tree.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Tabish

Oct 21, 2010, 3:15:38 PM10/21/10
to indiantreepix
We also found the same or similar woody climber in Dhanaulti,
Uttarakhand, at altitudes of about 2500 m. Since we found it growing
absolutely wild, I presume it to be the native species Hedera
nepalensis. We found the leaves to be leathery, which agree with H.
nepalensis. I was trying to find something to distinguish it from
Hedera helix which is an alien invasive species, and could have become
naturalized here.
In pictures of Hedera hexlix, like the following:
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=0000+0000+0909+1829
the leaves don't appear to be leathery. The description at PIERS does
not mention that the leaves are leathery, so I guess they are not
http://www.hear.org/pier/species/hedera_helix.htm
Thus I conclude my species to be Hedera nepalensis. Please validate.

About Prashant's plant, I feel it should be Hedera nepalensis,
although from the pictures I don't know how to rule out H. helix.
Best wishes
- Tabish

n110.jpg
p306.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 21, 2010, 5:00:50 PM10/21/10
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Tabish ji
The Himalayan Ivy H. nepalensis is different from European Ivy H. helix in first presence of scaly pubescence (and not stellate), fruit golden yellow (not black).
Also the juvenile leaves of H.helix are broader and regularly 5 lobed, whereas in H. nepalensis the juvenile leaves are narrower and with two to five small lobes on each side, also the leaves are greyish between the lateral veins..
Attaching the leaves of both species. H. helix grows just ourside my door here.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
Hedera-helix-juvenile-USA.jpg
Hedera-nepalensis-Manali-juvenile.jpg

Tabish

Oct 21, 2010, 5:08:27 PM10/21/10
to efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji,
Thanks for the information on the difference between the two
species. Unfortunately our present situation is not helped by it, as
Prashant and us, both have photographed only unlobed leaves, no fruits
and the nature of pubescence can't be distinguished from our pics.
- Tabish

On Oct 22, 2:00 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tabish ji
> The Himalayan Ivy H. nepalensis is different from European Ivy H. helix in
> first presence of scaly pubescence (and not stellate), fruit golden yellow
> (not black).
> Also the juvenile leaves of H.helix are broader and regularly 5 lobed,
> whereas in H. nepalensis the juvenile leaves are narrower and with two to
> five small lobes on each side, also the leaves are greyish between the
> lateral veins..
> Attaching the leaves of both species. H. helix grows just ourside my door
> here.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Tabish <tabi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We also found the same or similar woody climber in Dhanaulti,
> > Uttarakhand, at altitudes of about 2500 m. Since we found it growing
> > absolutely wild, I presume it to be the native species Hedera
> > nepalensis. We found the leaves to be leathery, which agree with H.
> > nepalensis. I was trying to find something to distinguish it from
> > Hedera helix which is an alien invasive species, and could have become
> > naturalized here.
> > In pictures of Hedera hexlix, like the following:
> >  http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=0000+0000+0909+1829
> > the leaves don't appear to be leathery. The description at PIERS does
> > not mention that the leaves are leathery, so I guess they are not
> >  http://www.hear.org/pier/species/hedera_helix.htm
> > Thus I conclude my species to be Hedera nepalensis. Please validate.
>
> > About Prashant's plant, I feel it should be Hedera nepalensis,
> > although from the pictures I don't know how to rule out H. helix.
> >   Best wishes
> >    - Tabish
>

>  Hedera-helix-juvenile-USA.jpg
> 274KViewDownload
>
>  Hedera-nepalensis-Manali-juvenile.jpg
> 246KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 21, 2010, 6:05:52 PM10/21/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Tabish ji
I think the following photographs of flowering shoots should help. The leaves in flowering shoots in H. helix are almost as broad as long, and flowers are greenish yellow. In H. nepalensis the leaves are much longer than broad (as seen in your and Prashant ji's both sets) and flowers golden yellow (clearly seen in Prashant ji's plant).

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089