amit uid 1 12072011

amit chauhan

Jul 12, 2011, 2:52:48 AM7/12/11
to indiantreepix
Dear all,

Sending photos of a malvaceae member. The photograph was taken at Pantnagar, Uttarakhand. About 2 m tall and growing on bunds near cultivated fields. Other details as in photos.Kindly help in identification.

regards

--
Dr. Amit Chauhan
Junior Technical Assistant

Vijayasankar

Jul 12, 2011, 10:19:37 AM7/12/11
to amit chauhan, indiantreepix
Abelmoschus ficulneus, perhaps.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Ushadi micromini

Jul 12, 2011, 3:15:03 PM7/12/11
to efloraofindia
Dont know the binomial name...
but your photos show what is known as
'Shobuj tok dhedosh ' in bengali...
ie green sour bhindi....

once in a while one old woman even sells it in my supermarket..

Trying to discover its name I had found this, last year ...
" from wikipedia: English: A wild white Roselle plant growing
on the bank of Irrawaddy River near Kamma, Magway Division, Myanmar.
Date 30 March 2008 Source Own work Author Mgba,
his photograph is at this link:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A_Wild_Roselle_Plant_Growing_On_the_Bank_of_Irrawaddy_River_Myanmar.jpg"

his picture is exactly like yours...
and Mr garg's pictures of leaves ...couldn't tell, but his gree n
bhindi
fruits are uncannily like yours...

DID YOU TASTE THEM? ARE THEY SOUR or SOURISH?

USha di
==========

On Jul 12, 7:19 pm, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Abelmoschus ficulneus, perhaps.
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi
>
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 1:52 AM, amit chauhan <amitci...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear all,
>
> > Sending photos of a malvaceae member. The photograph was taken at
> > Pantnagar, Uttarakhand. About 2 m tall and growing on bunds near cultivated
> > fields. Other details as in photos.Kindly help in identification.
>
> > regards
>
> > --
> > Dr. Amit Chauhan
> > Junior Technical Assistant
> > Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, Research Centre,
> > Pantnagar, PO Dairy Farm Nagla, Pantnagar, Udham Singh Nagar, Uttarakhand
> > 263149
> > ph.05944 234445
> > mob.+919412161087
> > mail: amitci...@gmail.com
> > amitci...@rediffmail.com
> > amit.chau...@cimap.res.in

amit chauhan

Jul 13, 2011, 12:12:12 AM7/13/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks Vijayshankarji I too think its Abelmoschus ficulneus ! and Ushadi i have not tasted its fruit but I will than I will tell you.

regards

mail: amit...@gmail.com
amit...@rediffmail.com
amit.c...@cimap.res.in

amit chauhan

Jul 13, 2011, 12:18:28 AM7/13/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Hi,

Can somebody check and provide distribution of the same in India

regards

Balkar Arya

Jul 13, 2011, 11:17:25 AM7/13/11
to amit chauhan, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
It is also Found in Haryana, if not mistaken
Attaching some pics of mine
pls validate

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
Abelmoschus ficulneus (1).JPG
Abelmoschus ficulneus (4).JPG

Vijayasankar

Jul 13, 2011, 12:00:15 PM7/13/11
to Balkar Arya, amit chauhan, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks Balkar ji, for the nice pictures.
But your plant looks different, and it may be Fioria vitifolia (= Hibiscus vitifolius).

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Balkar Arya

Jul 13, 2011, 12:17:24 PM7/13/11
to Vijayasankar, amit chauhan, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Pls look at these also
DSCN7161Sm.JPG
DSCN7163Sm.JPG
DSCN7164Sm.JPG
DSCN7165Sm.JPG
DSCN7166Sm.JPG
DSCN7167Sm.JPG
DSCN7168Sm.JPG
DSCN7171Sm.JPG

Vijayasankar

Jul 13, 2011, 12:26:55 PM7/13/11
to Balkar Arya, amit chauhan, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
This may be a variant/variety of A. ficulneus.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Balkar Arya

Jul 13, 2011, 12:46:08 PM7/13/11
to Vijayasankar, amit chauhan, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks Vijaysankar ji

amit chauhan

Jul 14, 2011, 12:02:56 AM7/14/11
to Balkar Arya, Vijayasankar, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks Balkarji and Vijayshankarji for providing the information but I have to check its distribution in Uttarakhand

regards

JM Garg

Nov 25, 2017, 6:02:18 AM11/25/17
to efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Vijayasankar Raman