ZZ Plant - further episode.

Padmini Raghavan

Dec 12, 2010, 12:53:55 PM12/12/10
to indiantreepix
My leaf of a  ZZ plant, Zamioulcas zamiifolia,  is wiithering after having fed its new plant.
I am re-sending the first three pics for comparison.
Regards,
Padmini Raghavan.
Zamioculcus zamiofolia 001.jpg
Zamioculcus zamiofolia 004.jpg
Zamioculcus zamiofolia 006.jpg
ZZ plant - further episode 001.jpg
ZZ plant -further episode 002.jpg

Mahadeswara

Dec 12, 2010, 11:17:04 PM12/12/10
to efloraofindia, Padmini Raghavan
The plant is drying because there is no drainage , I suppose. The
packing of the soil mixture is very important, so also the soil
mixture in proper proportion. Do not keep the pot indoors till it
grows. Keep it in a shady area in your balcony / under a tree.
The plant growth is very slow and one has to watch & wait.
Pot filling: Proper filling of the pot is very important: If it is 8'
pot , first cover the drainage holes with crokes (broken pieces of
the pots). Then fill up with river sand and small stones (Around
2") . Then fill the soil mixture ( 1:1:1 , sand, red soil and leaf
mould) . Do not fill up the soil mixture to the full level, but leave
about 1 to 1 half inch gap from the top.
It is always better to start the plant with a small pot and changing
regularly as it grows ( 4' beginning , 6'' and next 8 or 10" pot).
Never over water your plants. Most of the people lose their plant by
over watering.
>  Zamioculcus zamiofolia 001.jpg
> 136KViewDownload
>
>  Zamioculcus zamiofolia 004.jpg
> 138KViewDownload
>
>  Zamioculcus zamiofolia 006.jpg
> 139KViewDownload
>
>  ZZ plant - further episode 001.jpg
> 133KViewDownload
>
>  ZZ plant -further episode 002.jpg
> 141KViewDownload

Katarina

Dec 13, 2010, 4:09:39 AM12/13/10
to efloraofindia
Zamioculcas is a good plant to keep as a potted plant as it is very
tolerant to low light and dry air. But it has limits and I think it is
too dark where the pot is standing if kept indoors. New growth of
Zamioculcas is usually more compact than this. We used to propagate
via cuttings like this one and as stated earlier they are really slow
growers so be patient it will continue to grow. Drainage is usually
not a big issue for this species but of course excess watering may
kill the roots, especially in combination with low light.

Regards
Katarina
(former curator of a now closed University Botanical garden. Note: not
due to my caretaking ;-) )