PUTRANJIVA ROXBURRGHII

Col Bimal Sarkar

Sep 24, 2011, 9:26:00 AM9/24/11

Dear Friend,
                  Attaching two images of Putranjiva roxburghii.This plant is known as CHILD LIFE TREE. In Hindi itis known as JIAPUTA.This is what Dr Venkatesh says about the tree
" The fleshy fruit has ahard seed-containing stone within,which is strung into necklaces for putting on children,the belief being that they ward off evil and ill health.Hence the name PUTRANJIVA for the tree."
Regards
Col (Retd) Bimal Sarkar
Mobile: 9434194942
Putranjiva roxburghii 1.jpg
Putranjiva roxburghii 2.jpg

Balkar Arya

Sep 24, 2011, 9:48:53 AM9/24/11
to Col Bimal Sarkar, indiantreepix
Thanks Col Bimal Ji for information and Pics. Here in our area also this tree considered as sacred
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Sep 25, 2011, 12:23:05 AM9/25/11
to efloraofindia
Yes, Putranjiva roxburghii, now in family Putranjivaceae.
Pankaj

On Sep 24, 9:48 pm, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Col Bimal Ji for information and Pics. Here in our area also this
> tree considered as sacred
>
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Col Bimal Sarkar

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Sep 25, 2011, 1:38:39 AM9/25/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
I dont know what and who spread the rumour in Delhi
(Lutyen's) that Putranjiva is highly allergic. In the old bungalows so many trees had been cut I am told.  A number of trees when in flower become allergenic (I hope it is the correct word!) especially the pollen part of it.
I hope that the initial phobia of putranjiva has faded.  It is a beautiful tree, shiny leaves, long life, shady.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 25, 2011, 1:41:11 AM9/25/11
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, efloraofindia
Never heard this, we have huge multiple trees of the same in front of
our house and we never felt anything...
Pankaj

"Taxonomists getting Extinct and Species Data Deficient !!"

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Conservation Officer

Office:
Flora Conservation Department
Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation
Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

Residence:
36B, Ng Tung Chai, Lam Tseun
Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

email: pku...@kbfg.org
       sahani...@gmail.com
       pankaj...@rediffmail.com
Phone: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:30pm)
       +852 9436 6251; +852 5431 6094 (mobile)