Rhododendron fulgens from Chakrata

Balkar Arya

Jul 2, 2010, 10:02:06 AM7/2/10
to indiantreepix
Dear All

Rhododendron fulgens
"Burans"

--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Rhododendron fulgens-Eflora1.jpg
Rhododendron fulgens-Eflora2.jpg
Rhododendron fulgens-Eflora-3.jpg
Rhododendron fulgens-Eflora-5.jpg
Rhododendron fulgens-Eflora-6.jpg
Rhododendron fulgens-Eflora-4.jpg
Rhododendron fulgens-Eflora-7.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 2, 2010, 10:18:25 AM7/2/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
FOC | Family List | FOC Vol. 14 | Apiaceae | Rhododendron
444. Rhododendron fulgens J. D. Hooker, Rhododendr. Sikkim-Himalaya. 3: t. 25. 1851.

Shrubs, 1.5–4 m tall; young shoots and petioles glabrous. Petiole 10–25 mm; leaf blade leathery, oblong-ovate to obovate, 6–11 × 4.5–7 cm; base rounded or slightly cordate; apex rounded, apiculate; abaxial surface densely fulvous woolly, hairs fasciculate; adaxial surface glossy, glabrous. Inflorescence compactly racemose-umbellate, 8–14-flowered; rachis 10–20 mm. Pedicel ca. 1 cm, glabrous; calyx red, 1–2 mm, glabrous; corolla tubular-campanulate, fleshy, scarlet to blood-red, unspotted, 2–3.5 cm, with 5 dark red nectar pouches at base inside; lobes 5; stamens unequal, 1–2.2 cm, filaments white, or tinted pink at base, glabrous; ovary conical, 4–5 mm, glabrous; style slightly curved upwards, tinted pink, 1.5–1.7 cm, glabrous. Capsule narrowly elongate-cylindric, slightly curved, 5-valved, 10–30 × 4–8 mm. Fl. Apr–May, fr. Aug.

Rhododendron thickets, mountains; 3700–4500 m. S Xizang [Bhutan, NE India, Nepal, Sikkim].

Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Balkar Arya

Jul 2, 2010, 10:36:03 AM7/2/10
to tanay bose, indiantreepix
Thank you for adding more info
Juice of this trees flowers is used to drink as it is very delicious

Regards

tanay bose

Jul 2, 2010, 11:03:30 AM7/2/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
This is a new info for me !!
Tanay

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 19, 2010, 11:53:18 AM12/19/10
to indiantreepix
This plant is Rhododendron arboreum.
Rhododendron fulgens is not found in western Himalaya.
Regards
Pankaj

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Dr Pankaj Kumar
<sahani...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Rhododendron fulgens-Eflora1.jpg
> 221KViewDownload
>
>  Rhododendron fulgens-Eflora2.jpg
> 193KViewDownload
>
>  Rhododendron fulgens-Eflora-3.jpg
> 173KViewDownload
>
>  Rhododendron fulgens-Eflora-5.jpg
> 198KViewDownload
>
>  Rhododendron fulgens-Eflora-6.jpg
> 144KViewDownload
>
>  Rhododendron fulgens-Eflora-4.jpg
> 148KViewDownload
>
>  Rhododendron fulgens-Eflora-7.jpg
> 146KViewDownload

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Ninad Raut

Dec 19, 2010, 1:14:58 PM12/19/10
to efloraofindia
This plant is Rhododendron arboreum.
Belonging to family Ericaceae (In one of earlier post Apiaceae has
mentioned as family of Rhododendron)

Regards
Ninad

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 19, 2010, 1:28:00 PM12/19/10
to Ninad Raut, efloraofindia
Many of such renowned websites have such human errors for sure. It's
us who copy and paste unscrupulously, without checking much.
Thanks for pointing out. You may try writing a mail to eflora
especially the Ericaceae authors. They will certainly change it in no
time.

Dr. David F.Chamberlain of RBG Edinburgh is one of the authors for
Ericaceae and Rhododendrons on eflora of China.
D.Cham...@rbge.org.uk is his id.

Regards
Pankaj

Ninad Raut

Dec 19, 2010, 1:38:12 PM12/19/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj Sir for valuable information. I'll surely do that.

Thanks and regards
Ninad

On Dec 19, 11:28 pm, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Many of such renowned websites have such human errors for sure. It's
> us who copy and paste unscrupulously, without checking much.
> Thanks for pointing out. You may try writing a mail to eflora
> especially the Ericaceae authors. They will certainly change it in no
> time.
>
> Dr. David F.Chamberlain of RBG Edinburgh is one of the authors for
> Ericaceae and Rhododendrons on eflora of China.
> D.Chamberl...@rbge.org.uk  is his id.

Balkar Arya

Dec 20, 2010, 3:33:02 AM12/20/10
to Ninad Raut, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj Ji and Ninad Ji for correction

--
Regards