070311-PR For ID- Chennai.

Padmini Raghavan

Mar 6, 2011, 9:36:41 PM3/6/11
to indiantreepix
These winged seeds were found hanging in bunches on a tree which had the bark and leaves and habit  of Lagerstroemia speciosa.
As photogrphy is not allowed in the garden, I am hoping the seeds will throw some light on the ID.
 I think the flowers , a few weeks ago, were small and inconspicuous.
 Thanks,
Padmini Raghavan.

Padmini Raghavan

Mar 6, 2011, 9:41:01 PM3/6/11
to indiantreepix
Sorry I forgot the attachments.
Here goes:

P. Raghavan.

Caesalpinia pulcherrima and Allamanda cathartica var scottii 007.jpg
Caesalpinia pulcherrima and Allamanda cathartica var scottii 012.jpg
Caesalpinia pulcherrima and Allamanda cathartica var scottii 016.jpg

Vijayasankar

Mar 7, 2011, 11:10:56 AM3/7/11
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
These could be fruits of Terminalia paniculata.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Padmini Raghavan

Mar 7, 2011, 11:52:34 AM3/7/11
to Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Many thanks Vijaysankar and Prasanna,
 I don't know what link I checked yesterday but I saw a fruit like a guava and so was misled.
Yes, I am convinced the seeds are of Terminalia paniculata.
Are the flowers like  those of Arjuna?
Thanks and regards,
Padmini Raghavan.