Please identify this Liana - NS 6

Neil Soares

Nov 1, 2010, 1:07:08 PM11/1/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 Photographed at my farm at Shahapur yesterday. Unfortunately do not have any photographs of it flowering / fruiting.
 Also, it is not Mucuna pruriens [Common Cowitch / Khaj khujli] which is flowering & fruiting right now.
                          Thanks,
                                With regards,
                                  Neil Soares.

Unidentified liana 1.jpg
Unidentified liana 2.jpg
Unidentified liana 3.jpg
Unidentified liana 4.jpg
Unidentified liana 5.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 1, 2010, 2:30:15 PM11/1/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
This could be Spatholobus.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Neil Soares

Nov 2, 2010, 1:11:11 PM11/2/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
   Thank you Dr. Pankaj for this lead. This is not Spatholobus parviflora [Butea parviflora] as I have many Butea parviflora climbers on my property, so the only other possibility is Butea superba. Remember Dr. Almeida telling me that B.superba is very rare.
   Will have to wait for more inputs or till the plants flower / fruit.
                       Regards,
                         Neil Soares.

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 2, 2010, 1:25:39 PM11/2/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Butea superba Roxb. Pl. Coromandel i. t. 22.-. 1795.

Please find the plate (t 22 from Plants of Coromandel) attached to
help you in identification.
Regards
Pankaj

T 22 FROM PL COROMONDAL VOL 1.jpg

Neil Soares

Nov 2, 2010, 1:34:22 PM11/2/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dr.Pankaj, but don't think the leaves look anything like this. Will have to try some other lead.

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 2, 2010, 1:58:32 PM11/2/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Whats the flower colour?
Pankaj

Neil Soares

Nov 2, 2010, 11:17:51 PM11/2/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dr.Pankaj,
      Have only recently noticed this liana so am not aware of the nature of its flowers / fruit. Will keep a watch and let you know.
                      Regards,
                       Neil Soares.

P.S. - Also don't think it is the Indian Kudzu [Pueraria tuberosa].

shrikant ingalhalikar

Nov 3, 2010, 6:14:51 AM11/3/10
to efloraofindia
Neil ji, I have not been able to diiferentiate between B. superba and
B. parviflora. How do you tell them apart from leaves? I am yet to see
B. superba anywhere in my search over last 12 years. I am anxious to
know. Regards, Shrikant
>  Unidentified liana 1.jpg
> 173KViewDownload
>
>  Unidentified liana 2.jpg
> 145KViewDownload
>
>  Unidentified liana 3.jpg
> 168KViewDownload
>
>  Unidentified liana 4.jpg
> 196KViewDownload
>
>  Unidentified liana 5.jpg
> 137KViewDownload

Neil Soares

Nov 3, 2010, 6:45:25 AM11/3/10
to efloraofindia, shrikant ingalhalikar
Hi,
 Just received a reply from Santosh Yadav [Dr. Almeida's student]. He feels it could possibly be the Indian Kudzu [Pueraria tuberosa]. Will have to check again.
                          Regards,
                           Neil Soares.

Rashida Atthar

Nov 4, 2010, 10:32:17 AM11/4/10
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia, shrikant ingalhalikar
Neil, quite likely Santosh is correct, Indian Kudzu is seen near Cec centre, and appears very similar to the pics of your climber.

regards,
Rashida.