Gunj for ID : 050511 : AK-2

Aarti S. Khale

May 5, 2011, 5:27:27 AM5/5/11
to efloraofindia
Taken at Jijamata Udyan, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Flowers photographed on 20th Dec,2007, pods on 9th April,2011.
The leaves are edible, used in Supari mixture.
The seeds are white...unlike the other two which are red.
Flowers are also white in color.
Aarti
Gunj flowers-DSCN4623.JPG
Gunj-DSCN1830.JPG
Gunj pods-DSCN1832.JPG

prasad dash

May 5, 2011, 5:39:12 AM5/5/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Abrus precatorius (white seeded)

Regards

prasad
--
Prasad Kumar Dash
Ecologist, Orissa, India

Gurcharan Singh

May 5, 2011, 6:28:35 AM5/5/11
to prasad dash, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Nice to know that this plant also produces white seeds. Are they equally poisonous.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Muthu Karthick

May 5, 2011, 6:47:16 AM5/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, prasad dash, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Also I have seen green (with white) seeds of this. Is mutation responsible for this production of varied colored seeds or any cross-over? I never knew this plant is poisonous.

In Tamil, it is called 'Pilliyar kannu' which transliterates into 'Eye of L.Ganesha'; used for pressing eyes in clay idols.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

Gurcharan Singh

May 5, 2011, 7:13:34 AM5/5/11
to Muthu Karthick, prasad dash, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
The red ones really are

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

May 5, 2011, 9:17:02 AM5/5/11
to Muthu Karthick, prasad dash, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Muthu ji
In spite of being highly poisonous the seeds had been used for weights (Rati), and also for making rosaries. The seeds are not dangerous as long as the hard seedcoat is intact, but especially when they are drilled to be used in rosaries they are highly dangerous and can be fatal if ingested.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

May 5, 2011, 9:20:03 AM5/5/11
to Muthu Karthick, prasad dash, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Yes just found out even white variety is poisonous

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ushadi micromini

May 5, 2011, 9:36:08 PM5/5/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh

Gurtucharanji:
Yes there are white varieties... I have seen photoged and collected
white seeds of these... as curiosity in a hot house in NY, and at a
students learning garden of an Ayruvedic college in India... local
village gardeners said its used for doing magic... they seemed to be
all afraid of the seeds....

Usha di

==

On May 5, 6:20 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes just found out even white variety is poisonous
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15987020
>
> <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15987020>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Muthu ji
> > In spite of being highly poisonous the seeds had been used for weights
> > (Rati), and also for making rosaries. The seeds are not dangerous as long as
> > the hard seedcoat is intact, but especially when they are drilled to be used
> > in rosaries they are highly dangerous and can be fatal if ingested.
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> > On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Also I have seen green (with white) seeds of this. Is mutation responsible
> >> for this production of varied colored seeds or any cross-over? I never knew
> >> this plant is poisonous.
>
> >> In Tamil, it is called 'Pilliyar kannu' which transliterates into 'Eye of
> >> L.Ganesha'; used for pressing eyes in clay idols.

Vijayasankar

May 6, 2011, 12:46:59 AM5/6/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
I have seen only four colour-forms of Abrus precatorius seeds. But local nati-vaidhyas in TN say there is a green form which is said to be very rare and most efficacious among all. But I yet to come across with that.

The attached picture is sourced from FRLHT (now IAIM)'s Image Library.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi
abrus precatorius.jpg

prasad dash

May 6, 2011, 1:22:01 AM5/6/11
to Vijayasankar, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Dear all please find the uses of Abrus precatorius in Orissa (this is a compiled information from different tribal districts of Orissa, where they use the same species for different purposes)

Uses: The seeds are valued in making necklaces for their bright coloration. The roots are used for gonorrhea and jaundice.   The oil extracted from seeds is used to promote the growth of human hair. The species is also used by the tribal against dog bites, backache, knee pain, mouth ulcers and stomachache.

Regards

Prasad
email: prasad....@gmail.com
ph. 09437444241

Aarti S. Khale

May 6, 2011, 10:21:02 AM5/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Muthu Karthick, prasad dash, efloraofindia
Dear Gurcharan ji, Prasad ji & Muthu ji,
Thanks for the id and additional information on this white variety of Gunj.
It was interesting to know the seeds are poisonous...didn't have an idea before.
Regards,
Aarti

Aarti S. Khale

May 6, 2011, 10:28:27 AM5/6/11
to Ushadi micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com, aarti...@gmail.com
Dear Usha di and Vijayasankar ji,
Thanks to you too for additional info.
Aarti

Neil Soares

May 6, 2011, 12:52:29 PM5/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Aarti S. Khale, Muthu Karthick, prasad dash, efloraofindia
Hi,
 We have discussed this before on this site. Please check this link:

                                       Regards,
                                        Neil Soares.

Dr Pankaj Kumar

May 8, 2011, 5:14:21 PM5/8/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks for sharing. I never knew other than red and white.
Special thanks to Vijay for sharing his all four varieties. It will be
complete if Muthu can share pics of green ones.
Thanks
Pankaj