Flora of Chakrata: Eranthemum pulchellum from Chakrata Kalsi road

Balkar Arya

Sep 22, 2011, 12:25:51 PM9/22/11
to indiantreepix
Dear All
Eranthemum pulchellum from Chakrata Kalsi road
pls validate

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
Eranthemum pulchellum (1).JPG
Eranthemum pulchellum (2).JPG
Eranthemum pulchellum (3).JPG
Eranthemum pulchellum (4).JPG
Eranthemum pulchellum (5).JPG
Eranthemum pulchellum (6).JPG
Eranthemum pulchellum (7).JPG
Eranthemum pulchellum (8).JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 23, 2011, 4:45:55 AM9/23/11
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Balkar ji
This is not Eranthemum pulchellum (syn: E. nervosum) commonly grown in Delhi. That species has white bracts with green veins, cuspidate at tip and spike not more than 7.5 cm long.

This is Eranthemum purpurascens Nees with green bracts, many nerved and ciliate along margin

Please see the key jointly developed by Shrikant ji and me.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Sep 23, 2011, 5:05:05 AM9/23/11
to efloraofindia
I was thinking, why not Eranthemum roseum?
Pankaj

On Sep 23, 4:45 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Balkar ji
> This is not Eranthemum pulchellum (syn: E. nervosum) commonly grown in
> Delhi. That species has white bracts with green veins, cuspidate at tip and
> spike not more than 7.5 cm long.
>
> This is Eranthemum purpurascens Nees with green bracts, many nerved and
> ciliate along margin
>
> Please see the key jointly developed by Shrikant ji and me.
>
> https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/a9...
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 23, 2011, 5:32:14 AM9/23/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Pankaj ji
in both E. roseum and E. pulchellum the bracts are white with green veins not in this case

Bracts white with green nerves
      Bracts elliptic, cuspidate, glabrous and spikes upto 7.5 cm...E.  pulchellum Andr.
      Bracts obovate, mucronate, strigose and spikes longer than 7.5  cm....E. roseum (Vahl.) R. Br.

Bracts green
      The bracts many nerved, white ciliate on margins...E. purpurascens Nees
      The bracts few nerved, viscous hairy......................E. capens L.  var. concanense (T. And. C. B. Cl.) Sant.

Illustrations are in the key

https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/a98d8d20dd92659f/b96487df74641dfa?hl=en

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

Sep 23, 2011, 5:36:54 AM9/23/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks Sir for the correction and Key