Fruits & Vegetables Week: RVS-9

Vijayasankar

Jan 4, 2011, 11:06:16 PM1/4/11
to indiatreepix
Solanum nigrum, from Sirumalai hills, TN.
Ripe fruits edible and the leaves and unripe fruits used as vegetable.
Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

solanum nigrum_1.JPG
solanum nigrum_4.JPG

tanay bose

Jan 5, 2011, 12:46:35 AM1/5/11
to Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
This is completely new info  for me I didn't knew we could eat S nigrum
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

harithasandhya

Jan 5, 2011, 3:41:30 AM1/5/11
to efloraofindia, tanay bose, Vijayasankar
'Manattakkali' in Malayalam. A delicious leafy vegetable.

The fruits can be dipped in curds and salt and then sundried. This
will keep for long time and the sundried fruits can be fried in oil
and used as a sidedish with rice (what we call 'kondattum' in
Malayalam). These fried fruits are also used to make a delicious curry
with tamarind ('rasam').

Regards,
Sandhya

On Jan 5, 10:46 am, tanay bose <tanay...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is completely new info  for me I didn't knew we could eat S nigrum
> Tanay
>
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Vijayasankar <vijay.b...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Solanum nigrum, from Sirumalai hills, TN.
> > Ripe fruits edible and the leaves and unripe fruits used as vegetable.
> > Regards

> > Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
> > Post Doctoral Research Associate
> > National Center for Natural Products Research
> > Thad Cochran Research Center
> > University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
> > Phone: +1 662 915 1018
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*

Dinesh Valke

Jan 5, 2011, 5:48:02 AM1/5/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, tanay bose, Vijayasankar
... many thanks Vijayasankar ji for this post, thanks to Sandhya for adding more information.
Attaching some photos of the plant seen at Maval area of Pune.

Regards.

4936863970_e98a348449_b.jpg
4746174646_180b8166a8_b.jpg
4936862896_70bce0dd10_b.jpg

Jency Samuel

Jan 5, 2011, 6:56:56 AM1/5/11
to efloraofindia, harithasandhya, tanay bose, Vijayasankar

'Manathakkaali' in Tamil as well.  Sandhya is right.  Dried fruits fried in oil or ghee cure ulcers. But I find the juice extract from the leaves work better in curing mouth and stomach ulcers. Raw leaves are ground with water and the extract is taken orally on an empty stomach. (But I have taken it at other times as well and I feel the result is the same)  After one intake itself there will be a remarkable difference. Some people take the extract with coconut milk.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 5, 2011, 11:24:21 AM1/5/11
to Jency Samuel, efloraofindia, harithasandhya, tanay bose, Vijayasankar
Tanay
In our chilhood ripe fruits of this were our most sought after fruit in wild. Tasting like a sharper tomato, more sweet. We called it Kachmach.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Vijayasankar

Jan 5, 2011, 12:10:57 PM1/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Jency Samuel, efloraofindia, harithasandhya, tanay bose
Thank you all for the nice discussion and value additions.

Yes Sandhya ji, as you said its a very good leaf-vegetable. And the dried fruits (while coming to usa i had brought some and using now and then!) are used to prepare 'kaara kuzhambu' or 'vaththa kuzhambu', a slightly bitterly delicious.

Thanks Jency ji for sharing your valuable experience. Yes our traditional medicinal formulations are again and again proved effective. We are fortunate to have such a great wealth.
Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

tanay bose

Jan 5, 2011, 12:59:53 PM1/5/11
to Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Jency Samuel, efloraofindia, harithasandhya
Thanks Sir ji an all for nice infos
tanay
--
Tanay Bose