Malvaceae week - Pavonia odorata? - 100911 - RK1

ranjini kamath

Sep 10, 2011, 5:05:36 AM9/10/11
to indiatreepix
Is this Fragrant Swamp Mallow-Pavonia odorata? Pic taken in Bangalore
outskirts on 27-06-2010 at 10.30am
Ranjini Kamath
IMG_8083-ph.jpg
IMG_8083-ph-3.jpg

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 10, 2011, 12:45:15 PM9/10/11
to indiatreepix, ranjini kamath
Beautiful colour
Madhuri

Vijayasankar

Sep 10, 2011, 6:42:03 PM9/10/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, indiatreepix, ranjini kamath
Nice picture. This could be of Pavonia zeylanica.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Giby Kuriakose

Sep 15, 2011, 2:31:42 PM9/15/11
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix, Vijayasankar Raman
I think it is Pavonia odorata

In Pavonia zeylanica the leaves are deeply lobed.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Ushadi micromini

Sep 16, 2011, 12:35:06 AM9/16/11
to efloraofindia
did you have any side views to show the sepals?
Usha di
=

On Sep 15, 11:31 pm, Giby Kuriakose <giby.kuriak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it is *Pavonia odorata*.
>
> In *Pavonia zeylanica* the leaves are deeply lobed.
>
> Regards,
> Giby

Vijayasankar

Sep 16, 2011, 1:14:55 AM9/16/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks Giby, you must be right. I also had doubt, but to me the mericarps appear to be winged (not very clear though). The leaves are said to be (FoC) variable....upper shallowly lobed, lower leaves (which is not covered in the pictures) deeply lobed. So, if Ranjini ji can tell us whether the fruits winged (P. z.) or not (P. o.), the id can be resolved.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

ranjini kamath

Sep 16, 2011, 2:50:48 AM9/16/11
to Vijayasankar, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
All   I am sorry but i do not have any other pic of this flower or pics of fruit.
Regards
Ranjini Kamath