Flora of British India

mchunkat

Jul 20, 2011, 10:05:22 PM7/20/11
to efloraofindia
Dear All,
Are there any modern versions of the Flora and Fauna volumes? Has the
BSI and ZSI put together anything similar? Was struck by it when
looking at the recent Ziziphus thread where Dr. Balkar Singh had
kindly appended a Flora of China pages for Ziziphus genus. Could the
senior contributors give their reactions to starting a first ever user
group generated comprehensive flora for the Indian region? Is this too
ambitious a project? Was there any earlier thread on botanical terms
and on how to use a dichotomous key? Thanks.
Mohan Chunkath

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 20, 2011, 10:21:24 PM7/20/11
to mchunkat, efloraofindia
Mohan ji
Such an effort has already been initiated through great efforts of Garg ji and Dinesh ji. We need to fill in information. A key to Indian genera of Solanaceae has already been created:

Similarly key to the species of genus Solanum:

and a few species pages

Truly it is a great effort, but all need to contribute for such a great project

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

mchunkat

Jul 22, 2011, 8:43:06 PM7/22/11
to efloraofindia

Dear Dr. Gurcharan Singh,
Many thanks for your considered views as well as the current work done
on Solanaceae. What about field guides which describe common species
and also provide keys up to family or genus levels? My questions are
predicated by the absence of intermediate level books for the
interested amateur.
Regards,
Mohan