TQ07-Dhanaulti

Tabish

Oct 23, 2010, 4:15:28 PM10/23/10
to indiantreepix
Really tiny white flowers of a
herb photographed at Dhanaulti, Uttarakhand
Altitude - approx 2,500 m
Photographed in early October.
Please identify
- Tabish
unid-TQ07-a.jpg
unid-TQ07-b.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 23, 2010, 6:44:35 PM10/23/10
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Galium sp
Whether fruits are smooth or hairy and their size would settle the species.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 23, 2010, 6:53:52 PM10/23/10
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Tabish ji
If you have more photographs kindly check the number of leaves in each whorl. I see mostly four. Please check it, as it is very important for identification.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Oct 23, 2010, 8:10:22 PM10/23/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, indiantreepix
Is it Galium palustre
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 23, 2010, 9:01:04 PM10/23/10
to tanay bose, Tabish, indiantreepix
Tanay you may be right
The correct name for the plant is G. saturejifolium Trev. (syn: G. palustre M. Bieb.)
Leaves 4-6 in a whorl, leaf apex cuspidate, midrib distinct all match

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Oct 24, 2010, 12:18:49 AM10/24/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, indiantreepix
Thanks Sir ji for the new name
tanay

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 24, 2010, 1:17:24 AM10/24/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, indiantreepix
Galium for sure. Grows luxuriantly on the slopes in Dhanaulti.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Tabish

Oct 24, 2010, 1:49:43 AM10/24/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks everyone for the comments. On looking closely at other
pictures, here are the other observations which may help in narrowing
to the right species:
Leaves in whorls of 4-6.
Leaves oblanceolate (inverted-lanceshaped), ending in a sharp stiff
point (called cuspidate?)
Flowers white. Petals 4, narrow at the tip, ending in a narrow needle-
like tip.
Stems appear to be angled.

G. saturejifolium is described to have linear-lanceshaped leaves, with
"margin recurved, with antrorsely papiliform teeth."
I could not find any signature of recurved margins in my pictures.
- Tabish

On Oct 24, 10:17 am, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Galium for sure. Grows luxuriantly on the slopes in Dhanaulti.
> Pankaj
>

> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 9:48 AM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Sir ji for the new name
> > tanay
>
> > On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 6:31 AM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Tanay you may be right
> >> The correct name for the plant is G. saturejifolium Trev. (syn: G.
> >> palustre M. Bieb.)
> >> Leaves 4-6 in a whorl, leaf apex cuspidate, midrib distinct all match
> >> --
> >> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> >> Retired  Associate Professor
> >> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> >> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> >> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >>http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Tabish

Oct 24, 2010, 2:09:57 AM10/24/10
to efloraofindia
The description of Galium pauciflorum seems to be most agreeable to
me, more so because flowers appear to be only one or two in the axils
of leaves (pauciflora means few-flowered):
From Flora of Pakistan
"Stem slender, erect, unbranched, ± smooth or minutely aculeolate,
filiform, 4-angled, up to 1 mm thick. Leaves 4-6 in a whorl, 5-8 x
1-2.5 mm occasionally opposite, linear, or narrowly lanceolate-
oblanceolate, cuspidate, margin and midrib scabrid. Inflorescence
terminal and axillary, one flowered, pedicles 1-3 mm in fruit. Flowers
minute, white. Fruit 1-2 mm in diameter, sparsely clothed with hooked
hairs."
- Tabish

On Oct 24, 10:17 am, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Galium for sure. Grows luxuriantly on the slopes in Dhanaulti.
> Pankaj
>

> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 9:48 AM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Sir ji for the new name
> > tanay
>
> > On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 6:31 AM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Tanay you may be right
> >> The correct name for the plant is G. saturejifolium Trev. (syn: G.
> >> palustre M. Bieb.)
> >> Leaves 4-6 in a whorl, leaf apex cuspidate, midrib distinct all match
> >> --
> >> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> >> Retired  Associate Professor
> >> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> >> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> >> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >>http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 24, 2010, 2:30:01 AM10/24/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Tabish ji
G. pauciflorum is a possibility, but ultimately the fruit size and surface will clinch the issue. The number of flowers on each peduncle seem to be 2-3, where as in this species one is a rule and two a rare occurrence. Let us explore further.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

J.M. Garg

Nov 15, 2010, 3:48:27 AM11/15/10
to efloraofindia, Tabish, Gurcharan Singh, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, tanay bose

Some earlier relevant feedback:

The description of Galium pauciflorum seems to be most agreeable to
me
, more so because flowers appear to be only one or two in the axils

of leaves (pauciflora means few-flowered):
From Flora of Pakistan
"Stem slender, erect, unbranched, ± smooth or minutely aculeolate,
filiform, 4-angled, up to 1 mm thick. Leaves 4-6 in a whorl, 5-8 x
1-2.5 mm occasionally opposite, linear, or narrowly lanceolate-
oblanceolate, cuspidate, margin and midrib scabrid. Inflorescence
terminal and axillary, one flowered, pedicles 1-3 mm in fruit. Flowers
minute, white. Fruit 1-2 mm in diameter, sparsely clothed with hooked
hairs."

 - Tabish”

“Tabish ji

G. pauciflorum is a possibility, but ultimately the fruit size and surface will clinch the issue. The number of flowers on each peduncle seem to be 2-3, where as in this species one is a rule and two a rare occurrence. Let us explore further.

--

Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

“”

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

unid-TQ07-a.jpg
unid-TQ07-b.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 2, 2020, 6:20:27 AM4/2/20
to efloraofindia, Tabish, GurcharanSingh
To me appears close to Galium acutum Edgew.
Flora of China says Leaves in whorls of up to 6 and inflorescences with terminal and axillary cymes, 1- to few flowered;
unid-TQ07-a.jpg
unid-TQ07-b.jpg