HELP REQUIRED - DENDROPHTHOE FALCATA

Paldas Photography

Aug 25, 2011, 7:58:37 AM8/25/11
to efloraofindia
dear all,

I want to grow the following plant without mango tree ,  on soil. it is required for my butterfly garden . i don't have a mango tree at my garden , then how to grow the same on the soil ?

help me to prepare required soil for it ? can it be grown on guava tree?

DENDROPHTHOE FALCATA (L. f.) Ett.

Loranthus falcatus L.f.,  Loranthus longiflours Desr.

Family: Loranthaceae

Bengali/vernacular name: Bara Manda, Bandha, Pharulla.
Tribal name: Porsal (Chakma), Alikhowng (Khumi)

--
Thanks & Regards,

Somnath Pal Das

**   To create a “Butterfly Garden” at your premises , pls contact us.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/somnathpaldas2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/somnathpaldas2/4941384184/

http://color-wings-butterfly-gardening.blogspot.com/2011/01/color-wings-butterfly-gardening.html
http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Community?cmm=97250956

Facebook
Twitter

------------------------------
Imagine This

One day you come out from your home
and all you see is big puffs of black smoke
and no trees !

All you see the cars and no bird
All you smell is gasoline & no flowers

What kind of life is that ?

Think about it...

  ..... GO GREEN.....
Only after the last tree has fallen | Only after the last river has been
poisoned | Only after the last fish has been cut | Only then will we realize
that money cannot be eaten !!!
**  Save Trees , Plant new Trees , Feed Birds , Butterflies , Animals around
YOU..

**  Keep our planet GREEN n LIVE......

raju

Aug 25, 2011, 11:35:28 PM8/25/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Somnathji,

Another best host tree for this species is Melia azedarach, you can
try with this.

Raju Das

On Aug 25, 4:58 pm, Paldas Photography <som.with.cam...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> dear all,
>
> I want to grow the following plant without mango tree ,  on soil. it is
> required for my butterfly garden . i don't have a mango tree at my garden ,
> then how to grow the same on the soil ?
>
> help me to prepare required soil for it ? can it be grown on guava tree?
>
> DENDROPHTHOE FALCATA (L. f.) Ett.** *Loranthus falcatus* L.f.,  *Loranthus
> longiflours* Desr.Family: Loranthaceae
>
> *Bengali/vernacular name:* Bara Manda, Bandha, Pharulla.
> *Tribal name:* Porsal (Chakma), Alikhowng (Khumi)
>
> --
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Somnath Pal Das
>
> ***   To create a “Butterfly Garden” at your premises , pls contact us.*
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/somnathpaldas2
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/somnathpaldas2/4941384184/
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/somnathpaldas2>
>
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/somnathpaldas2>http://color-wings-butterfly-gardening.blogspot.com/2011/01/color-win...<http://www.flickr.com/photos/somnathpaldas2>http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Community?cmm=97250956
>
> <http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Community?cmm=97250956>
>
>  <http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Community?cmm=97250956>
>
> <http://greencamp.in/2010/12/life-cycle-of-common-mormon-butterfly-video/>
> *Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/#%21/somnath.paldas>*
> *Twitter <http://twitter.com/#%21/somnathpaldas>*

shrikant ingalhalikar

Aug 25, 2011, 11:47:43 PM8/25/11
to efloraofindia
The plant is a partial parasite and can not be grown in soil. It can
not grow on even a guava tree because it needs cracked bark to hold
and penetrate in to the rind. It can be made to grow on Bottle Brush,
Cork Tree, Parijatak, Acacias and many other trees. Give an account of
all the trees in your garden to choose a suitable one. You can just
pick ripe berries from under the Dendrophthoe plant and purge them to
attach the sticky seed on to the bark. You can also collect such seeds
ejected by the Flowerpeckers from their favourite perches. Wish you
good luck. Regards, Shrikant

wrote:
> dear all,
>
> I want to grow the following plant without mango tree ,  on soil. it is
> required for my butterfly garden . i don't have a mango tree at my garden ,
> then how to grow the same on the soil ?
>
> help me to prepare required soil for it ? can it be grown on guava tree?
>
> DENDROPHTHOE FALCATA (L. f.) Ett.** *Loranthus falcatus* L.f.,  *Loranthus
> longiflours* Desr.Family: Loranthaceae
>
> *Bengali/vernacular name:* Bara Manda, Bandha, Pharulla.
> *Tribal name:* Porsal (Chakma), Alikhowng (Khumi)
>
> --
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Somnath Pal Das
>
> ***   To create a “Butterfly Garden” at your premises , pls contact us.*
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/somnathpaldas2
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/somnathpaldas2/4941384184/

Smilax004

Aug 26, 2011, 12:34:50 AM8/26/11
to Paldas Photography, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Raju Das, indiantreepix
As Srikanth ji mentioned, we cant grow this species in soil as this is
a hemi-parasite.
The seed dispersal is by birds, mainly Flowerpeckers. The seeds in the
bird fecal matter get attached to the branches with the help of non
digestive gummy mucilage around the seed. Thus it get attached to the
branch and germinate in the bark.
I doubt whether it even germinate in soil.
So far, I haven't seen any hemi-parasite growing or germinating in
soil.
I have seen then growing on a wide range of host trees including Jack
fruit tree. .

Regards
Giby

wrote:

> dear all,
>
> I want to grow the following plant without mango tree ,  on soil. it is
> required for my butterfly garden . i don't have a mango tree at my garden ,
> then how to grow the same on the soil ?
>
> help me to prepare required soil for it ? can it be grown on guava tree?
>

> DENDROPHTHOE FALCATA (L. f.) Ett.** *Loranthus falcatus* L.f.,  *Loranthus
> longiflours* Desr.Family: Loranthaceae
>
> *Bengali/vernacular name:* Bara Manda, Bandha, Pharulla.

> *Tribal name:* Porsal (Chakma), Alikhowng (Khumi)

> --
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Somnath Pal Das
>

> ***   To create a “Butterfly Garden” at your premises , pls contact us.*
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/somnathpaldas2
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/somnathpaldas2/4941384184/

Neil Soares

Aug 26, 2011, 3:58:25 AM8/26/11
to Paldas Photography, Smilax004, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Raju Das, indiantreepix
Hi,
 Agree with Mr.Ingalhalikar & Dr. Giby. Dendrophthoe falcata is a Partial Parasite.
Sending a few of my photographs. At my farm have it growing on Mohua, Caesalpinia bonduc [Sagargota], wild Mango and even on Teak.
 Have recently posted photographs of it on Bauhinia racemosa [Apta] and they are available at this link :

                                 With regards,
                                  Neil Soares.

--- On Fri, 8/26/11, Smilax004 <giby.ku...@gmail.com> wrote:
Loranthus sprouting on Mohua 1.jpg
Loranthus sprouting on Mohua 2.jpg
Loranthus sprouting on Mohua 3.jpg
Loranthus on Mohua.jpg
Loranthus on Wild Mango.jpg
Loranthus on Teak.jpg

Balkar Arya

Aug 26, 2011, 9:58:42 AM8/26/11
to Neil Soares, Paldas Photography, Smilax004, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Raju Das, indiantreepix
D falcata on Bottle brush Tree from Panipat roadside area. This was very near to a Nursery. I have never seen flowering on this parasite in Panipat
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
IMG_5888Sm.JPG
IMG_5889Sm.JPG
IMG_5884Sm.JPG
IMG_5885Sm.JPG
IMG_5886Sm.JPG
IMG_5887Sm.JPG

Somnath Paldas

Aug 26, 2011, 2:18:48 PM8/26/11
to efloraofindia
oh! I have Neem Tree .... hope It will work...

Somnath Paldas

Aug 26, 2011, 9:50:24 PM8/26/11
to efloraofindia
I have LIVE Lime , Guava , dwarf firebush , Crepe Jasmine, Coffee
Rose (Tabernaemontana divaricata) , Basil (Ocimum tenuiflorum) , Night-
flowering Jasmine (Nyctanthes arbortristis) , karabi (oleander) plants
at my garden & Neem in neighborhood ... which will be the most
suitable.

can they live on dead tree? I have dead betel nut , guava tree also

On Aug 26, 6:58 pm, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> D falcata on Bottle brush Tree from Panipat roadside area. This was very
> near to a Nursery. I have never seen flowering on this parasite in Panipat
>

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  Agree with Mr.Ingalhalikar & Dr. Giby. Dendrophthoe falcata is a Partial
> > Parasite.
> > Sending a few of my photographs. At my farm have it growing on Mohua,
> > Caesalpinia bonduc [Sagargota], wild Mango and even on Teak.
> >  Have recently posted photographs of it on Bauhinia racemosa [Apta] and
> > they are available at this link :
>
> >https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/47...
>
> >                                  With regards,
> >                                   Neil Soares.

Somnath Paldas

Aug 26, 2011, 9:50:45 PM8/26/11
to efloraofindia
I have LIVE Lime , Guava , dwarf firebush , Crepe Jasmine, Coffee
Rose (Tabernaemontana divaricata) , Basil (Ocimum tenuiflorum) , Night-
flowering Jasmine (Nyctanthes arbortristis) , karabi (oleander) plants
at my garden & Neem in neighborhood ... which will be the most
suitable.

can they live on dead tree? I have dead betel nut , guava tree also

On Aug 26, 6:58 pm, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> D falcata on Bottle brush Tree from Panipat roadside area. This was very
> near to a Nursery. I have never seen flowering on this parasite in Panipat
>

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  Agree with Mr.Ingalhalikar & Dr. Giby. Dendrophthoe falcata is a Partial
> > Parasite.
> > Sending a few of my photographs. At my farm have it growing on Mohua,
> > Caesalpinia bonduc [Sagargota], wild Mango and even on Teak.
> >  Have recently posted photographs of it on Bauhinia racemosa [Apta] and
> > they are available at this link :
>
> >https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/47...
>
> >                                  With regards,
> >                                   Neil Soares.

Giby Kuriakose

Aug 26, 2011, 11:26:00 PM8/26/11
to Somnath Paldas, efloraofindia
Of these listed plants, only Guava and Neem are suitable ones.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD