Carrots from my minigarden in Ritterhude

Na Bha

Aug 18, 2011, 6:49:58 AM8/18/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hallo,
some time back I had sent the link prinzessinnengarten.net in this forum.

Inspired by the fotos I saw there, I cultivated carrots in milk cartons.
As the snails were very eager to eat the leaves I hanged the cartons on
this Stand. Now I am harvesting a few carrots every day. Here are some
fotos.

This Idea of using wasteland or other places like garage roofs for this
purpose, is now spreading well in Germany, Schitzerland etc. Schools are
taking part in these actions and mayors and ministers come to see this
garden.
Here one more Link:
www.gartendeck.de >> a similar action in Hamburg.
The text is in German but the Fotos don't need any comments.

http://prinzessinnengarten.net/about/ you can read about the idea in
english.

Enjoy.
Nalini

100_1221.JPG
100_1222.JPG
100_1224.JPG

Tanay Bose

Aug 18, 2011, 9:59:27 AM8/18/11
to Na Bha, indian...@googlegroups.com
Unique and nice way to cultivate carrot.
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Ushadi micromini

Aug 18, 2011, 6:49:22 PM8/18/11
to efloraofindia
Nalini ji: very nice.... love it... I have grown lettuce and some
herbs for daily use in hanging bags esp in colder climes, where they
can be started off in winter and hung outside on the balcony in spring
and summer..., and have tried strawberries, .... in Kolkata this
winter I'm going to do your method... this way I dont even need sooo
many hooks on the wall.... this would be a nice way to get the
length /depth needed for carrots and radishes ..long roots would be
nice....

Here is a link from NY times about this Berlin Garde, completely in
English..... http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/28/berlins-mobile-garden-grows/

Usha di

=============

On Aug 18, 6:59 pm, Tanay Bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unique and nice way to cultivate carrot.
> Tanay
>

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 3:49 AM, Na Bha <nabha-megh...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hallo,
> > some time back I had sent the link prinzessinnengarten.net in this forum.
>
> > Inspired by the fotos I saw there, I cultivated carrots in milk cartons. As
> > the snails were very eager to eat the leaves I hanged the cartons on this
> > Stand. Now I am harvesting a few carrots every day. Here are some fotos.
>
> > This Idea of using wasteland or other places like garage roofs for this
> > purpose, is now spreading well in Germany, Schitzerland etc. Schools are
> > taking part in these actions and mayors and ministers come to see this
> > garden.
> > Here one more Link:
> >  www.gartendeck.de>> a similar action in Hamburg.
> > The text is in German but the Fotos don't need any comments.
>
> >http://prinzessinnengarten.**net/about/<http://prinzessinnengarten.net/about/>you can read about the idea in english.
>
> > Enjoy.
> > Nalini
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*
> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> Department of Botany.
> University of British Columbia .
> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
>            604-822-2019 (Lab)
>            604-822-6089  (Fax)
> ta...@interchange.ubc.ca
> *Webpages:*http://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/mberbee.htmlhttp://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/gradstud.htmlhttps://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/

Na Bha

Aug 19, 2011, 6:35:56 AM8/19/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks Usha di,

i am also growing Potatos in a mediumsized pot using the method of vertical cultivation. This requirs less room. Tis Idea i also bowwowed from Prinzessinnengarten.
Here you will find in english more info:            http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/vegetables/potatoes/potatoes_in_barrel.php
and here further development of this idea:>>  http://permaculturinginportugal.net/blog/language/de/kartoffelbehalter/      It is in German but the fotos are very clear.
In another pot using the vertical method I am cultivating  अळू (Colocasia esculenta, or Taro) Don't know how that will work. Just trying.

You write:
this way I dont even need sooo
many hooks on the wall....
Very true.  Another advantage I found, is that the "garden" is mobile. I can put it in sun, shade or somewhere else, if I need this corner of my garden.
Regards
Nalini