051110PR-2-Bangalore for ID

Padmini Raghavan

Nov 5, 2010, 2:38:05 PM11/5/10
to indiantreepix
I saw this vine in a garden at Bangalore and was impressed by the way it was extending all over, including on some overhead cables.
Please help me id it.
Thanks,
Padmini Raghavan.
Is this an invasive vine with berries. 001.jpg
Is this an invasive vine with berries. 003.jpg
Is this an invasive vine with berries. 005.jpg

Vijayasankar

Nov 5, 2010, 2:52:57 PM11/5/10
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Nice pictures Padmini ji. It is Tinospora cordifolia, an important medicinal plant.

Regards

Vijayasankar

Padmini Raghavan

Nov 5, 2010, 3:03:28 PM11/5/10
to Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Is this the one with a square cross-section stem?
Thanks for the id.
Regards,
Padmini Raghavan.

tanay bose

Nov 5, 2010, 3:20:07 PM11/5/10
to Padmini Raghavan, Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
This plant is commonly known as GUDUCHI I dont think it has a square stem !!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 5, 2010, 4:02:06 PM11/5/10
to Padmini Raghavan, Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
You cant confirm the species, unless you check the petiole and leaf if
it has short hairs over it. There is another similar looking species,

Tinospora sinensis (Lour.) Merr. Sunyatsenia 1: 193. 1934

Regards
Pankaj

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 12:33 AM, Padmini Raghavan <pad...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 5, 2010, 4:34:16 PM11/5/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Padmini Raghavan, Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
These two species have been discussed quite often on this group, but unfortunately we don't have authentic well illustrated photographs of T. malabarica, which is now known as T. sinensis

To me the branches do look hairy, and the crimson fruits on longer stalks do suggest T. chinensis (syn: T. malabarica). These two threads should help in resoving the issue:

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Vijayasankar

Nov 5, 2010, 5:32:16 PM11/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Padmini ji, in cross section the stem will be circular in outline and you can see numerous medullary rays arching from center to periphery, giving a wheel-like appearance, a characteristc feature of (most of the) Menispermaceae members.

By looking at the leaf shape, size and glabrous nature (i think it is not hairy, right?) i am sure it is T. cordifolia. This is common in most of the gardens in Bangalore. The other species (T. sinensis) is seldom planted here except in gardens of some research institutions.

Regards

Vijayasankar

mani nair

Nov 5, 2010, 9:40:15 PM11/5/10
to Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Also known by the name Giloy.  It is used in Ayurvedic medicines for increasing immunity.

Regards,

Mani.

Mahadeswara Swamy

Nov 6, 2010, 1:48:41 AM11/6/10
to Vijayasankar, mani nair, Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
This is T.cordifolia. Very common plant in Karnataka especially Mysore and Bangalore.

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 6, 2010, 1:55:28 AM11/6/10
to Mahadeswara Swamy, Vijayasankar, mani nair, Pankaj Kumar, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
I would request that some member uploads the authentic well illustrated photographs of T. chinensis (syn: T. malabarica).

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 6, 2010, 2:31:07 AM11/6/10
to Mahadeswara Swamy, Vijayasankar, mani nair, Gurcharan Singh, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
We have this wild in our campus, but right now only dry stem is left....
Pankaj

Rashida Atthar

Nov 7, 2010, 11:22:32 AM11/7/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Mahadeswara Swamy, Vijayasankar, mani nair, Pankaj Kumar, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Sir,  Dr. Almeida showed us T. chinensis at Sawantwadi in Sep., 10. Uploading the same separately.

regards,
Rashida.