Chamba High.. al170811a

Alok Mahendroo

Aug 17, 2011, 1:13:51 PM8/17/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,
This one reminds me of the Senecio family.. am I on the right track...

Location Chamba
Altitude 3500 mts
Habit herb
Habitat wild
Plant height 20 inches approx

regards
Alok
--
Himalayan Village Education Trust
Village Khudgot,

www.hivetrust.wordpress.com
www.forwildlife.wordpress.com
http://mushroomobserver.org/observer/observations_by_user?_js=on&_new=true&id=2186

073111_1339.jpg
073111_1338.jpg

Alok

Aug 18, 2011, 12:14:37 PM8/18/11
to efloraofindia
Is it Jacobaea raphanifolia but the leaves looked like Senecio
graciliflorus...
Alok
> www.hivetrust.wordpress.comwww.forwildlife.wordpress.comhttp://mushroomobserver.org/observer/observations_by_user?_js=on&_new...
>
>  073111_1339.jpg
> 209KViewDownload
>
>  073111_1338.jpg
> 168KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 19, 2011, 7:49:02 AM8/19/11
to Alok, efloraofindia
Alok ji
This species is not reported from Western Himalayas.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Alok Mahendroo

Aug 19, 2011, 9:18:22 AM8/19/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Sir,
You know much more than anyone I know.. about this.. but then what could
it be... and is it Senecio sp. in the first place.. or I am deluded ....
regards
Alok

www.hivetrust.wordpress.com
www.forwildlife.wordpress.com
http://mushroomobserver.org/observer/observations_by_user?_js=on&_new=true&id=2186

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 19, 2011, 10:45:32 AM8/19/11
to Alok Mahendroo, efloraofindia
Yes Alok ji
It is a species of Senecio for sure. Even a few species now placed under Jacobaea (incl. J. raphanifolia) were formerly placed under Senecio. The above plant from head size and leaves may perhaps be Senecio jacquemontianus, but this needs to be confirmed.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Alok Mahendroo

Aug 19, 2011, 11:54:07 AM8/19/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Sir,
Begging your pardon... This seems very different from what I thought to be Senecio
jacquemontianus.... attaching that file too..
regards
Alok

--

080511_1118.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 19, 2011, 11:11:32 PM8/19/11
to Alok Mahendroo, efloraofindia
Yes Alok ji
You may be right about your this plant being S. jacquemontianus. Your first plant has to be explored further.

.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

Aug 20, 2011, 9:58:22 AM8/20/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Alok Mahendroo, efloraofindia
all wild Guess !!!
You pics no 080511_1118.jpg may also be cremanthodium arnicoides
Firstly posted may be Senecio chrysanthemoides
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 20, 2011, 10:24:43 AM8/20/11
to Balkar Arya, Alok Mahendroo, efloraofindia
Balkar ji
The first plant is closer to S. chrysanthemoides which shows a lot of variation. I have also photographed similar plant from Gulmarg, which I initially (but wrongly) thought S. jacquemontianus, but thanks to Alok ji. I have still to fix it, refraining to call it S. chrysanthemoides because heads are about 2.5 cm across, whereas they are scarcely exceeding 1.5 cm in S. chrysanthemoides

The second plant clearly belongs to Ligularia section of former Senecio. I can;t count more than 8-10 ligules, so it can't be S. arnicoides (now Cremanthodium arnicoides) which has larger heads (often 6 cm across) and 15-30 ligules. Closest is S. jacquemontianus which has 12-15 ligules.

In this genus and other side close up is very important, because involucre bracts number is crucial in species identification.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

Aug 20, 2011, 10:42:09 AM8/20/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Alok Mahendroo, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan Ji
For throwing light on the matter

Alok

Aug 21, 2011, 11:17:36 AM8/21/11
to efloraofindia
Thank you Balkar ji and Gurcharan ji for enlightening me.. and sir, I
definitely hope that I'd remember to photograph the side profile too
next time.. I did try to enlarge the side view from my pic but... :
( it was not too clear..
regards
ALok