Caesalpinia for ID

Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Mar 27, 2011, 4:59:18 AM3/27/11
to indiantreepix
Small deciduous tree, 3-5 m tall, erect; bark light coloured. Leaves 2 pinnate, 30--40 cm; pinnae 3-5 pairs, 15-20 cm; leaflets opposite, elliptic, sessile, 3 cm, acute, pubescent. Flowers fragrant, 1 cm, in terminal racemes 10-15 cm; calyx lobes 5, fimbriate, lower lobe elongate, boat shaped, reddish, segmented on margin. Petals 5, clawed.Pods flat, 10 cm, reddish brown.
Found few trees together flowering, planted in an experimental reserved forest near Pune.
Shrikant Ingalhalikar
12 Varshanand Society
Anandnagar Sinhagad Road
Pune 411 051. www.idsahyadri.com
Tel 91 20 2435 0765.
Fax 91 20 2438 9190.
Caesalpinia_Twig.jpg
Caesalpinia.jpg

Vijayasankar

Mar 27, 2011, 9:12:52 PM3/27/11
to le...@rediffmail.com, indiantreepix
It may be Caesalpinia spinosa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesalpinia_spinosa
http://www.apatita.com/herbario/Leguminosae/Caesalpinia_spinosa.html

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

shrikant ingalhalikar

Mar 27, 2011, 10:33:12 PM3/27/11
to efloraofindia
Vijaysankar ji, thank you for the lead. The plant matches in respect
of lower calyx lobe but it lacks the red spots on the upper petal and
it has no spines at all. Is there anything close to C. spinosa?
Regards, Shrikant

On Mar 28, 6:12 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It may be *Caesalpinia spinosa*.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesalpinia_spinosahttp://www.apatita.com/herbario/Leguminosae/Caesalpinia_spinosa.html
> > <http://sigads.rediff.com/RealMedia/ads/click_nx.ads/www.rediffmail.co...>- Hide quoted text -

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 24, 2011, 1:45:53 AM4/24/11
to efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Vijayasankar Raman, Mahadeswara, Muthu Karthick
Resurfacing again for ID confirmation

Earlier feedback

Vijayasankar ji....................................It may be Caesalpinia spinosa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesalpinia_spinosa
http://www.apatita.com/herbario/Leguminosae/Caesalpinia_spinosa.html

Shrikant ji.......................................... thank you for the lead. The plant matches in respect

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

J.M. Garg

Aug 10, 2011, 12:02:45 PM8/10/11
to efloraofindia
I have confirmed that this is C. spinosa, a tree originating from Peru
and known as 'Tara' tree. Thanks to Vijaysankar for ID. Regards,
Shrikant