Why don't we have 'Flora of India' like 'Flora of China' etc.?

J.M. Garg

May 3, 2009, 6:50:38 AM5/3/09
to indiantreepix
On net search we always come across 'Flora of China', "Flora of Pakistan' or 'Flora of Nepal' etc.
Why don't we have 'Flora of India' ?
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

May 3, 2009, 7:15:10 AM5/3/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
.... that I too scream !!
Regards.

Tabish

May 3, 2009, 7:41:22 AM5/3/09
to indiantreepix
I hope our botanists can hear us shouting!
- Tabish

On May 3, 4:15 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> .... that I too scream !!
> Regards.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 3, 2009, 11:58:28 AM5/3/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
If I am   not mistaken lotus is the national flower of India, as peacock the national bird and tiger the national animal.
akbhatt
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Rajesh Sachdev

May 3, 2009, 12:21:31 PM5/3/09
to indiantreepix
Mr. Bhatt , we are not talking about flower of India. We are talking
about in general database of this nation in terms of faunal aspect.
--
Best Regards
Rajesh Sachdev

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 3, 2009, 1:24:44 PM5/3/09
to Rajesh Sachdev, indiantreepix, Bombay Natural History Society, bn...@bom4.vsnl.net.in, bnhsfie...@gmail.com
Let us confine to flora for the time being. Flora of Pakistan has been prepared by the Botanical Garden of Missourie I think. It is a private venture though maybe it was done with a grant from the Govt. of Pakistan. Some organisation in India has to come forward, and maybe send a proposal to MEF. Indiantreepix or BNHS could be a suitable organisation, although it would be a full time and job for the earmarked and dedicated staff. I dont know whether FRI has done anything in this regard.
akbhatt

Rajesh Sachdev

May 3, 2009, 9:38:45 PM5/3/09
to indiantreepix
Dr. Swapna Prabhu,
member of Indiantreepix is already taking interest in it. It is just
time factor.

Suresh C. Sharma

May 3, 2009, 10:09:33 PM5/3/09
to Rajesh Sachdev, indiantreepix
Dear Rajesh,

Who is Dr Swapna Prabhu? I am sorry, I did not receive any post from him.

Nevertheless, within a short span of two months now, I have made  500+ images of 200 species of flora of Haryana, mostly from Sonepat and surrounding districts, identified with the help of experts on this wonderful forum. Experts and semi-experts, including you, have fixed springs to my pace. So, I hope to collect more and more images of Haryana's flora in near future.

I will be happy to make these available to this group if collective efforts are made to launch Flora of Indian States. I expect similar offers from dedicated plant photographers on this list from their respective areas.

Let us not worry about some mistaken IDs, these can be sorted out later on.

Regards,
Suresh C. Sharma
_______________

Rajesh Sachdev

May 3, 2009, 10:21:32 PM5/3/09
to indiantreepix
Mr. Sharma,

Dr. Swapna Prabhu is the Systematic Botanist/ Taxonomist working with
Bombay Natural History Society. A month ago, in her office, I
approached her and ask for her guidance in regards to buying field
guide for Indian Trees ( wild Variety). She explain me everything and
also shown me many books available with her in BNHS library.We finally
given a thought, that there is very little or no reference guide
available on the stand, which could fulfill my desire for the field
guide on Indian trees.
She also said that she would try and write a book on it, but it would
need loads of efforts and funding.

My best wishes to Dr. Swapna & her team.

Subhash Sule

May 4, 2009, 3:02:02 AM5/4/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

May 4, 2009, 3:08:25 AM5/4/09
to Subhash Sule, indian...@googlegroups.com
... any details of how to get going for procuring this CD ( of CSIR /NISCAIR ) ?
Regards.

Subhash Sule

May 4, 2009, 3:33:28 AM5/4/09
to Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
I presume, they have discontinued the project.
For more information on Wealth of India, contact

Dr. O.J. Chakre, Scientist & Head (o...@niscair.res.in
Dr. Rekha Sharda, Scientist (rsharda@niscair res.in
P R Bhagwat Technical Officer (prb@niscair res.in)

The postal address is National Institute of Science Communication and Information Resources, CSIR, Dr K S Krishnan Marg (Near Pusa Gate) New Delhi 110 012.
Tel No: 011 - 2584 6301 Board
Regards,
Subhash Sule

Pankaj Oudhia

May 4, 2009, 4:00:12 AM5/4/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Garg ji,

   In real sense to prepare on-line edition of flora of India much effort is required. I have taken over 300,000 pictures. Over 40,000 are on-line, so far. These pictures are taken in Chhattisgarh only. But still this effort seems like a drop in knowledge ocean.

Similarly, in the field of Ethnobotany it seems that previous workers have not done the documentation by heart. As individual effort, CGBD (Offline Database on Chhattisgarh Biodiversity) is touching 1000 GB i.e. over 50 million pages only on Type II Diabetes, much more than TKDL having 30 million pages for all diseases in expense of millions. You know that I have not taken even a pie from anyone for this work so far.

Similar is the condition in the field of Ethnoentomology.

In Indiantreepix we are fortunate to have workers like you. I feel that now time has come to extend support to innovative workers in India not to research organisations investing time for improving the language of research publications.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Tabish

May 4, 2009, 5:16:57 AM5/4/09
to indiantreepix
Instead of straightaway demanding images for all the plants, first we
need a searchable database of all plant species where the botanical
description, distributions and flowering/fruiting time is given.
This should not be such a difficult job, although requires lot of
hard work. After all, the botanical description of all the plants is
already compiled in print volumes of floras of different regions. We
would only be digitizing the existing information.
Adding pictures could be a second step, or, can run side by side.
That is the more difficult part which involves correctly identifying
plants in the images by experts.
Lets hope somebody comes up with this project.
Best wishes
- Tabish

On May 4, 1:00 pm, Pankaj Oudhia <pankajoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Garg ji,
>
>    In real sense to prepare on-line edition of flora of India much effort is
> required. I have taken over 300,000 pictures. Over 40,000 are on-line, so
> far. These pictures are taken in Chhattisgarh only. But still this effort
> seems like a drop in knowledge ocean.
>
> Similarly, in the field of Ethnobotany it seems that previous workers have
> not done the documentation by heart. As individual effort, CGBD (Offline
> Database on Chhattisgarh Biodiversity) is touching 1000 GB i.e. over 50
> million pages only on Type II Diabetes, much more than TKDL having 30
> million pages for all diseases in expense of millions. You know that I have
> not taken even a pie from anyone for this work so far.
>
> Similar is the condition in the field of Ethnoentomology.
>
> In Indiantreepix we are fortunate to have workers like you. I feel that now
> time has come to extend support to innovative workers in India not to
> research organisations investing time for improving the language of research
> publications.
>
> regards
>
> Pankaj Oudhia

J.M. Garg

May 4, 2009, 10:06:13 AM5/4/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Here is a reply from C KUNHIKANNAN <kunhi...@gmail.com>:
"Dear friends,
Flora of India project is on. so many volumes has come out in print form vol. 1 to 6, and 12, 13 . by Botanical survey of India with funds from Govt. of India. with some time we can expect full set of flora. A Small country like Bhutan,  flora consists of three volume with 8 books. Our country is great with so much of diversity, and new discoveries are coming out from the botanists and new generation research workers are interested mostly in lab oriented research. This is the pathetic situation systematic facing now.
Further, Cetain state floras are also came out as printed books. CDs are available for identication of species. eg Kerala Flora by Dr. N. Sasidharan, KFRI, Peechi, Kerala.
kunhikannan"

J.M. Garg

May 4, 2009, 10:16:04 AM5/4/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix, kunhi...@gmail.com
Thanks, Kunhikannan ji.
But what we are talking is it put it on the net so that it is easily acessable to all e.g. http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200018953 (net is the furure).

Rakesh Biswas

May 4, 2009, 10:38:58 AM5/4/09
to J.M. Garg, Tabish, indiantreepix, kunhi...@gmail.com
I feel Indiantreepix database is moving in the correct direction and it may not be long before the database can expand to include all of Indian Flora.

rakesh