Grass week: Thysanolaena latifolia from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 10, 2010, 2:33:23 PM12/10/10
to efloraofindia
Thysanolaena latifolia (Roxburgh ex Hornemann) Honda, J. Fac. Sci. Univ. Tokyo, Sect. 3, Bot. 3: 312. 1930. (syn: T. maxima (Roxb.) O. Ktze.)
A common grass in ditches and banks of river Yamuna and lakes in Delhi.
The inflorescences of this grass are often tied together in bunches to make brooms. Our common phul jharoo.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Thysanolaena-latifolia-3.jpg
Thysanolaena-latifolia-1.jpg
Thysanolaena-latifolia-2.jpg

tanay bose

Dec 10, 2010, 4:08:00 PM12/10/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Yes ful jharoo we call it . Attaching my photo from Bengal
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.