... Adenanthera and Adhatoda

Dinesh Valke

Mar 15, 2011, 9:06:38 AM3/15/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

Does Adenanthera vasika exist ?
This name is found in quite a few ayurveda-related / trading web sites and is put as synonym of Adhatoda vasica (presently Justicia adhatoda).

Would it be some kind of error ?

Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 15, 2011, 9:36:22 AM3/15/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Adenanthera vasika does not figure in Kew Plant List, IPNI or GRIN, and evidently not a published name. Adenathera is a genus of Fabaceae:Mimosoideae, and looks strange how the two are linked, except for if an illegitimate name if ever published. But then this should be mentioned in at least IPNI and Kew Plant List, which list all published names. But strangely there are so many sources on the net mentioning this name (as synonym of Adhatoda vasica), as mentioned by Dinesh ji.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Mar 15, 2011, 10:20:01 AM3/15/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji ... me too had the same doubt ... two distinct genera made synonymous must be a blunder somewhere, sometime ago ... later on, simply must have got copy-pasted in various instances.

Though this matter itself is irrelevant to many who visit those sites ... it gives a good idea of errors floating on the internet.

Regards.
Dinesh

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 15, 2011, 10:26:51 AM3/15/11
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Seems to me like a result of one mistake being copied again and again
and again....
None of those sites are authentic which shows this plant name on
google and none of the authentic sites show this plant.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Ushadi micromini

Mar 16, 2011, 5:57:33 AM3/16/11
to efloraofindia
This one example points to a glaring problem in Herbal medicine
field..
lack of true scholarship shown by the traders and their webmasters...
they just cut and paste... such discrepancy hopefully serves as a red
flag to the consumers!

I often wonder what can one do? If they are so careless with what
they
write, how careful can they be with what they put in their bottles?

Usha Desai MD