Sterculiaceae tree for id 200411MK1

Muthu Karthick

Apr 20, 2011, 4:42:09 AM4/20/11
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Please help to id this tree planted as ornamental in a private property at Coimbatore city of Tamilnadu. Taken in low light and hence the poor picture. Is this any Sterculia sp.?

Date/Time-

15-04-2011 / 06:00 AM

Location- Place, Altitude, GP

ca.400asl; Coimbatore, TN

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

urban [garden]

Plant Habit-

tree

Height/Length-

3 m

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

20 x 8 cm

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

terminal; 40cm longer

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

reddish

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

Sterculiaceae.jpg
Sterculiaceae (2).jpg
Sterculiaceae (3).jpg

Muthu Karthick

Apr 20, 2011, 6:53:39 AM4/20/11
to indiantreepix, kottai muthu
A reply from Kottaimuthuji: It belongs to Araliaceae. It commonly cultivated in the Gardens of Balgalore

I am sorry that this tree belongs to Araliaceae and I mistook as Sterculiaceae. Consistent eight leaflets were found in each leaf. Any Schefflera sp.?

rajdeo singh

Apr 20, 2011, 7:14:36 AM4/20/11
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Hello,
This is Schefflera actinophylla (Endl.) Harms.
Syn. Brassaia actinophylla Endl.

***
Rajdeo Singh
Project fellow
St. Xavier's College,
Mumbai

Mahadeswara

Apr 20, 2011, 9:14:12 AM4/20/11
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick
Schefflera actinophylla

On Apr 20, 1:42 pm, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> Please help to id this tree planted as ornamental in a private property at
> Coimbatore city of Tamilnadu. Taken in low light and hence the poor picture.
> Is this any *Sterculia* sp.?
>
>  *Date/Time-*
>
> 15-04-2011 / 06:00 AM
>
> *Location- Place, Altitude, GP*
>
> ca.400asl; Coimbatore, TN
>
> *Habitat-** Garden**/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-*
>
> urban [garden]
>
> *Plant Habit-*
>
> tree
>
> *Height/Length-*
>
> 3 m
>
> *Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-*
>
> 20 x 8 cm
>
> *Inflorescence Type/ Size-*
>
> terminal; 40cm longer
>
> *Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-*
>
> reddish
>
> *Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- *
>
> *Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- *
>
> --
> Muthu Karthick, N
> Care Earth Trust
> #15, second main road,
> Thillai ganga nagar,
> Chennai - 600 061
> Mob: 0091 96268 33911www.careearthtrust.org
>
>  Sterculiaceae.jpg
> 218KViewDownload
>
>  Sterculiaceae (2).jpg
> 202KViewDownload
>
>  Sterculiaceae (3).jpg
> 215KViewDownload

Aruna

Apr 21, 2011, 12:30:53 PM4/21/11
to efloraofindia
Octopus Tree

On Apr 20, 1:42 pm, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> Please help to id this tree planted as ornamental in a private property at
> Coimbatore city of Tamilnadu. Taken in low light and hence the poor picture.
> Is this any *Sterculia* sp.?
>
>  *Date/Time-*
>
> 15-04-2011 / 06:00 AM
>
> *Location- Place, Altitude, GP*
>
> ca.400asl; Coimbatore, TN
>
> *Habitat-** Garden**/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-*
>
> urban [garden]
>
> *Plant Habit-*
>
> tree
>
> *Height/Length-*
>
> 3 m
>
> *Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-*
>
> 20 x 8 cm
>
> *Inflorescence Type/ Size-*
>
> terminal; 40cm longer
>
> *Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-*
>
> reddish
>
> *Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- *
>
> *Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- *
>
> --
> Muthu Karthick, N
> Care Earth Trust
> #15, second main road,
> Thillai ganga nagar,
> Chennai - 600 061

Padmini Raghavan

Apr 21, 2011, 2:28:59 PM4/21/11
to Aruna, efloraofindia
Also Queensland Umbrella tree, isn't it?
Cheers,
Padmini Raghavan.

Satish Phadke

Apr 22, 2011, 11:48:13 AM4/22/11
to Padmini Raghavan, Aruna, efloraofindia
Isn't it called as Australian umbrella tree?